MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Avatar universal

in pain

how do i know if i have Fibromyalgia
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
61536 tn?1340698163
You need to see a rheumatologist, a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of fibromyalgia.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Hi there...

Usually the best Dr. that diagnoses and treats Fibromyalgia is a Board Certified Rheumatologist. When you call to make an appt...just make sure that this is something they treat.

Fibro is a diagnosis usually made by exclusion of other illnesses/diseases. The "tender point" exam is just one of the ways they use.

Hope you can find a Dr. and get some answers soon.

Once diagnosed....Fibro is usually treated both with natural ways and possible medication like Lyrica, Neurontin, Savella, or Cymbalta. Sometimes they will prescribe a muscle relaxer if needed for muscle spasms.

But most important is daily exercise....it's crucial to stay moving. The more people lay around or sleep the worse their symptoms. Eating well, maintaining a healthy weight, not smoking, limit sugars, salts, simple carbs...

As well as certain supplements like magnesium, calcium, Vit B, and potassium are helpful. But you should have levels checked first.

Good luck..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community

Top Pain Answerers
Avatar universal
st. louis, MO
317787 tn?1473358451
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Could it be something you ate? Lack of sleep? Here are 11 migraine triggers to look out for.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Here are 10 ways to stop headaches before they start.
Tips and moves to ease backaches