Pain Management Community

inguinal hernia

Is it normal to experience discomfort from inguinal hernia repair  several months after surgery? I am 7 months out of surgery. I admit I do things like sing (which put pressure on the area) But is that the entire cause as to why I still experience discomfort from time to time? I notice if a twist, sleep on my side , or on my tummy and not on my back, this kind of provokes it. So are these factors what's causing the discomfort to prolong, or does it just take longer to heal from this kind of surgery? If I follow rules such as sleep on my back, sit up straight, stop singing, clean the cut thorougly in the shower, and eat healthy, will these factors expedite my recovery?
Hello and Welcome to the Pain Management Forum.

You question may obtain more responses in the Men's Health Forum.... but please know you are always welcome here. I am far from an expert but have a bit of experience in this area.

It's been seven months. Your incision site should be well healed and not require extra special attention or cleaning. If it is not you should see your physician asap. I assume you had a small mesh inserted. This sometimes causes a pulling sensation but you should not have any major discomfort.

If your surgeon has released you from all restrictions I see no reason you should have to give up singing, especially if you love it. Your correct. When we sing properly we utilize our abdominal muscles. This is actually good exercise..... and it's safe as you are not doing any heavy lifting.

We should all eat healthy.:o) It never hurts.

I am wondering if you may have developed some adhesions. They can just be uncomfortable or they can be extremely painful and debilitating. A second opinion may be beneficial if your surgeon has no answers for you.

I hope you'll keep us updated. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Take Care,
~Tuck