omegas for pain/testosterone for nrg

I began seeing a new pain dr several months ago...he says i have firomyalgia just like everyone else!  still not on that band wagon but some things have helped..the omega 3s 3 x a day, testosterone injections (yep and I am a girl) makes me feel less cravings for pain meds and more energy..it is really helping and I am so glad...he is still doing steroid injections monthly under flouropscopy but really seems to be helping me..I am more energetic than i have been in a long time...plus toning up and my hair is getting thicker on the testosterone...i also take an anti-inflamatory, 5htp every night, cal/mag and a good multi..niacinamide, glucosamine and thats about it...I used to take so many supps trying to squash my pain and get a bit of nrg so i could work without having to nap at lunch time//thank goodness i could come home at lunch for yrs or i wouldnt have made it!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
that is wonderful.  when we suffer for so long and feel like our doctor's dont believe us it makes us wonder if we are going crazy or something is wrong with our "noodle", and than we finally find a doctor that believes us - it is so liberating, finally we are not crazy!!

i am sorry that the doc diagnosed you with fibro but, it sounds like you are not quite believing that diagnoses.  i can understand that also and remember docs can and have been wrong in the past but, and this is a big but, if you want to look at the bright side of the situation, to actually have a diagnosis is kinda nice.  some people go years and maybe even a lifetime with various symptoms and doc's never do find out what the problem is and they wind up getting told and believing that it is all in their head.  so actually having some type of diagnosis vs being told that it is all in your head is kinda nice.

if i am not being too nosey, how did the doctor come to the conclusion that testosterone injections would help you, and how did they think it would help.  i am asking cause that is interesting and if it helped, than heck i wouldn't mind mentioning it to my doc to see what he thought and maybe if it could help me.

anywho - - - - -
till next time
montanagurl
Helpful - 0
Hi Worried,

It's good to see you one the forum again. I am glad that you have found some relief from your pain. It also sounds like you have more energy, that is just great.

My PCP believes that FM is a greatly over used diagnosis, though she does beleive that FM exists and is very painful. I do not have FM so I am not a good source nor do I feel confident in offering suggestions. My Aunt has FM and suffers greatly. Very little helps ease her pain. She has been to all the best clinics including Mayo. They all agree on the diagnosis. I also have a friend that was diagnosed with it and treated for 10 years only to discover that she had several other conditions that can mimic FM and never actually had the condition.  

So my suggestion is that if you do not beleive your diagnosis is correct, don't give up. Find a physician that is willing to review your medical records with an open mind and possibly run additional testing.

But the good news is you are feeling better and have more energy. Please keep posting and continue to let us know how you are doing. We all learn form one another. And you know we are always here for you.
Peace, Tuck
Helpful - 0
I would rather not be diagnosed than be diagnosed with FM. no offence meant to anyone who has it but i also feel it's another 'costrochondritis' type Dx. there are no doubt people who have it, but it is diagnosed as much as ADHD. funny how ADHD was only taken seriously when several drugs to treat it came out.
I am also very interested in how the testosterone shots go. I have thought about them for myself. it is not unusual for women to be low in testosterone. it occurs natuarlly in women too but is counter balanced by estrogen.
maybe i need some of that? lol, i don't think so.
i have noticed that adrenalin is great for fighting pain(as are other naturally occurring chemicals)and have often thought about getting my levels of all these chemicals checked. maybe i should.

Nick.
Helpful - 0
agree with ur feelings on the fibomyalgia dx...vague...but anyway...fatigue is a big part of fibro..but then fatigue is a big part of any chronic pain condition..it will wear u slap out hurting all the time..anuyway..that is why he rx'd the testosterone...it also helps with wt loss..which due to the fatigue i had packed on a few..not obese but much heavier than i am used to being....it is also an anti-aging thing as well...my hair is getting thicker..on my head that is..I have had no weird side effects like facial hair or nuttin like that..just more nrg..and toning up...my workouts r not as strenouous as they used to be either due to pain...i was an aerobic instructor for 15 yrs//and is where i hurt myself yrs ago...being a nurse isnt a great back job either..so i will be working  til my prince in shinging armour comes along or til i win the lottery./or until i am old as dirt..whichever comes first!  LOL  I am the type that needs to stay busy..and if i didnt work i am afraid i would be bored..kids grown etc..altho i can usually keep myself pretty dern busy...tuckamore..good to see ya as well!
Helpful - 0
fyi..afterhtought on testosterone...if u do not have a partner..u may wanna beware..my boyfriend thinks i am a nympho!  LOL  no but really my sex drive has gone a bit overboard..and he is the "lets wait" type and i am usually too...but i am like daydreaming bout the s word..and knowing the nature of this hormone...gues i see why! just an fyi
Helpful - 0
LOL, thanks for the heads up. I hope it doesn't give you facial hair, as a nympho chick with a beard would be quite frightening.
Helpful - 0
nope..but my hair on my head is looking really good...i am a bit on the feminine side..so would take lots of test to turn me into whiskers!  LOLe
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community