Pain Management Community

osteoporosis shots

I would like to know if anyone out there has had
shots for osteoporosis. My mom is 89 and having
problems with her muscles to the left of her
spine and she has stenosis , osteoporosis and
arthritis. The back specialists think she should
have a shot. Mentioned epideral but mom does not
want anything injected in her spine. Does anyone
have news on having shots in the muscles that
could help her. What side effects has anyone noticed
if she were to have the shot in the spinal area?
hi...I have the same disease as your mom, I have had cortisone shot for hips and another in sept. the first one did help immensley however the effects were short term.
It was also recommended I have a 'nerve block' for the spine however I haven't proceeded to this as of yet(leave for last resort)
You can get tons of info at this site
www.spine-health.com
good luck with your/her decision
Hi Kzam

Welcome to the Pain Mangement Forum. I am sorry to hear about your mom's painful condition.

I think you are talking about several different things, There are different treats for osteoporosis one of the more popular and common are bisphosphonates. They are given generally prescribed orally and include Fosamax, Actonel and Boniva. They can cause some severe stomach distress as they did for my father. When this happens there are injectable forms of bisphosphonates.

Ibandronate (Boniva injection) is injected into your vein once every three months, and  zoledronic acid (Reclast) is injected once a year. If approved by your physician these treatments do not cause stomach distress and you do not have to remember to take a tablet.  If these are the injections or "shots for osteoporosis" that your mom's physician is discussing there are fairly well know and widely used.

Additionally there is also a nasal spray with the brand name of  Miacalcin Nasal Spray that can be prescribed for bone loss of the spine. There may be others but this is the only one that I am familar with. So there are some options.

The epidural you refer to I assume is an ESI. They are a steroidal injection into the effected area of the spine. The theory is that the steroids will reduce inflammation and swelling thus reducing the pain. Some ppl have found these to be an effective pain reliever while others have not. In my opinion much depends on the specific condition, the skill of the practitioner and how the a person's body reacts to the steroid.  

I hope this information has been helpful. Please remember that I am not an expert and I suggest that you discuss these procedures/options with a health practitioner.

Best of luck to you and your Mom. Please let us know how she is doing.

Take Care,
Tuck