Pain Management Community

sciatica or something else?

Hi, I recently have had pain in the side of my leg and it only lasts about 5-10 minutes and it is sharp and hurts more when I stand. It goes away and is gone for a couple of days then it came back  for about the amount of time. I only have had it twice so far. It is dull and I know it is sort of there and then it is gone the rest of the day. I have a frozen shoulder on the same side with a injury to the rotator cuff and possibly detoid but not a tear. This pain happened after that so i don't know if it is related or not. I do sit a lot. the pain seems to be in one area. So far I haven't had it for long. I stopped my exercises and waiting to see if that helps.
thanks,
Mkh9
Hi there, I think we've exchanged posts a few times over on the Back & Neck forum. I wanted to ask you about your Shoulder? Can you rotate it backwards? Reason I ask is, I have a problem with my shoulder and I can't rotate it. I don't know if the problem is nerve related from my neck( I have serious neck problems) or if this is simply a shoulder problem. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hijack your thread!
The pain in your leg might have something to do with compensatory mechanisms related to the pain in other parts of your body.  But it is not directly link to your shoulder condition.  This might just be a muscular strain because of certain activities. By the way, what exercises are you doing on your leg that might possibly cause the pain?  Other possibilities include myofascial pain syndrome, nerve compression, vascular conditions, etc. It might also be a radiating pain originating from the back.  In the meantime, try warm compress for 20 minutes done at least 3 times in a day if the pain comes back.  Try some stretching exercise specific to the muscle involve in the leg to reduce spasm associated with the pain.  If the occurrence of pain increases, then you need to consult a doctor for a detailed clinical evaluation.  I hope this helps. Take care!
Thanks for the reply. This morning I had pain (more of a dull ache) when I was walking up a small hill under the right buttock of the same leg where I have the pain in the side of the leg.  So that seems to coincide with a sciatic nerve problem it seems. I am doing a lot of different exercises to try to stretch and strenghten my back because my left side of my back has chronic myofascial pain syndrome for the last three years. I walk 45 minutes a day half flat and half hills and this has helped a lot with my pain on the left side. So, I started doing my physical therapy stretches and these are knee to the chest, kegal, stomach tightening, pelvic tilt, hamstring stretch, pyriformis stretch, clam (lay on side knees bent open one knee). Then later in the day I do Isometric exercises, leg lifts to side and front, kick backs where the knee is bent and you kick the knee backwards, leg lifts while sitting, sitting and briging the knee up and kicking straight forward, circumduction exercise , hold onto a chair or countertop, and lift one leg to the side and make a circle with your leg, squats using an exercise ball agaisnt the wall and squats holding a chair or counter and keeping back staight squat. Each of these about 10 reps. I do some arm exercises as well. I also do a step up onto my porch in the morning I do it 40 times starting with each leg. I was atrophied from sitting too much after my injury. I think I tore a ligament at one point because I couldn't lift my left leg at all so it took me two months to be able to get over the threshold to get outside and walk across the street and also to get into the shower. I progressed and finally I am doing well and the pain is down. So now I have done all these exercises plus walking and going to the stores but I don't lift much weight and can't bend yet.  So, it is frustrating and worrysome to have another injury on my right side. I hope it will go away. I am taking a couple of days off from the isometric exercises. What do you think?
mkh9
Yes I can rotate the should forward and backwards. I can't lift the arm all the way though. I can only lift it part way about to the top of my head.  I have a frozen shoulder. It takes a long time to go away. If yours is stuck you may have the same problem. Other injurys can freeze up your shoulder. You may want to get it checked when you go in.
mkh9
Oh, also I do two set of 10 reps of bridge exercises.
thx,
mkh9
A detailed clinical evaluation is needed to arrive at a correct diagnosis.  Remember that sciatica is a symptom of another medical problem, not a medical condition on its own.  Common causes of sciatica include slipped disk, piriformis syndrome, pelvic injury, spinal stenosis, and other possible conditions.  Because sciatica is a symptom of another medical condition, the underlying cause should be identified and treated.

Doing the wrong type of exercise can worsen the sciatic pain, so it is important to get an accurate diagnosis prior to starting a program of sciatica exercises.

It is fine to stop doing the isotonic exercises for a while just to observe if the pain is triggered by the exercise that you were doing or not.  

These are just some of the guidelines in doing the exercises that you have mentioned:  Be sure that the muscle is flexible before you do any strengthening exercise.  For example, before starting pelvic bridging exercise, be sure that the gluteals and hamstring are flexible. If these muscles are tight, doing pelvic bridging might further contribute to the tightness.  Usually tightness of the gluteals and hamstring further aggravates the symptoms of sciatica.  Another thing, when doing straight-leg-raising (SLR), you have to tighten your abdominals first before lifting the leg.  If not, you’ll be putting yourself at risk of lumbar strain or much worse disk herniation, which can also be a factor causing sciatica.  

Try to observe proper body mechanics especially when getting up from the bed. You have to assume sidelying position first before raising yourself up, instead of raising yourself straight from lying down.  Try bending your knees and maintain back in straight position when you have to pick something on the floor, instead of bending at the waist.  Get into the habit of standing to stretch every 30-45 minutes of sitting.  This will minimize pressure on the lower back.

I hope this information will help you. Take care!