Pain Management Community

sciatica

My dr. did a CT scan on my left side to see if I had sciatica as I had a lot of symptoms of it.  It showed minimum damage to the nerve. I was not told what to do next? Should I get a follow up with what kind of specialist? Would a MRI show more information then the CT scan?
Hello and Welcome. I am glad that you found us and took the time to post. Please excuse my tardy response. I've had a horrid pain flare. I'm sorry to hear about your painful sciatica. I have it also - and can relate. I know your pain!

As you know Sciatica is a SX (symptom) and not a disease condition. Sciatica can be caused by a multitude of conditions. What you need to know is what is the cause of your Sciatica. Were you told?

Sciatica simply means the Sciatic Nerve is impinged, inflamed or damaged.

Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the the large sciatic nerve, which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks and down the back of each leg. It is usually not bilateral - and only effects one side of the body. The pain or SX can be disabling.

Leg pain is often described as burning, tingling or searing often accompanied by weakness, numbness or difficulty moving the limb. It can also be a sharp pain that may make it difficult to stand up or to walk. Pain in your gluteal area can also be extreme and is a common SX. Sometimes mine is so serve that my leg won't even hold me up. Sitting most always increases the pain and is usually avoided. Is this the type of pain you are experiencing?

I encourage you to educate yourself. Learn as much as you can about the Sciatic Nerve and what can cause Sciatic. Once you have done so approach your medical provider and ask for the appropriate tests.

You will find a lot of information in Sciatica if you use your Search Engine. Most sites will tell you that Sciatica can be caused by a herniated disk in your spine, Spinal Stenosis (spinal canal narrowing) or by Osteophytes (Bone Spurs) on your vertebrae. Osteophytes (Bone Spurs) are an over growth of bone. In rare cases the nerve can be compressed by a tumor or damaged by a disease such as diabetes. Unfortunately what you won't find listed as often is a condition called SIJD (Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction).

SIJD is often overly looked and under treated by medical providers. Many of us with SIJD pain spend months - even years - without a correct diagnosis. It's difficult to DX (diagnosis) and because it often presents as with sciatica and low back and buttock pain than more typical causes are looked for and sometimes even DX. SIJD will not show up on an MRI or CT Scan - at least in most cases. It requires a different diagnostic procedure. I am by no means saying you have this condition. I just want you - and others to be aware that SIJD can happen to anyone and should always be considered.

A Neurologist may be a good place to begin your search. Be sure to ask if SIJD could be the problem - especially if MRIs are not definitive. If your pain - sciatica - is due to an impingement in your lower spine - it should show on an MRI. Always ask that the MRI be preformed with Contrast. Contrast provides a more definitive "pictures."  

Please share with us what the MRI reveals. And Please do keep in touch,  let us know how you are doing. If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon my friend in pain.

Good Luck and Take Care,
~Tuck