something new for pain

I have been taking hydrocodone for multiple issues for almost 10 years.  It doesn't seem to be helping much anymore and I need suggestions on something new to try.  I don't want to go to percoset, because it works post surgery where morphine does not.  Tramadol causes me to have seizures (they think) so it's off the table, and they gave me demerol for dental pain once but it did nothing.  So I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions on something new to try.  Something without acetaminophen would be preferable but not required.  It also can't have a high seizure risk.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Also, its not a good idea to ask for a specific drug, it can make the doctor think that you are just looking for stronger pain meds. The best way to handle it would be to explain to your doctor that the hydrcodone isn't helping and explain your pain and ask for his/her suggestions on what to do.

Also, percocet comes in many different doses beginning with 2.5/325 and that may be an option. There are many different "after surgery" pain meds that are available that will work even if you are on percocet for your every day pain.
Helpful - 0
Everyone is different in what works for them. That is why I didn't suggest anything specific. It also makes a difference to know what kind of pain is being treated. Your urologist may not want to prescribe anything stronger then Hydrocodone 10's. and yes, 10's are the highest strength Hydrocodone. A PM doc is more knowledgable on treating different kinds of pain effectively. Good luck to you! I hope someone else can help you better
Helpful - 0
I'm on 10mg of hydrocodone, it doesn't go higher that I know of.  I actually get my pain meds from my urologist, I don't want to go to a pm dr until I don't have any other choice.  I was hoping for some specific suggestions on something new to try that actually works.  
Helpful - 0
Maybe your doseage of Hydrocodone could be increased? Maybe he could add another med to your current meds to minimize your pain.  You should really tell your pm doc what you have mentioned here. If you have insurance I would suggest that you get a list of meds your insurance covers and give it to your doctor. This will help ensure you get a med that is covered under your plan since some meds are very costly. Good luck to you!
Ginger
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pain Management Community