Pancreatic Cancer Community
97 Members

My sons bloodwork

My son is 17. His labwork ALT were 35 & AST were 30. My dad died at age 59 of pancreatic cancer should I be concerned with my sons liver levels
I would suggest you post your question in the MedHelp Pancreatic Cancer Community were other may be able to help you. This community is for persons infected with the hepatitis C virus.

Does you son have hepatitis C?

1. Your son's AST and ALT bloods levels and normal as they should be. Why be concerned?
2. ALT and AST are unrelated to pancreatic cancer.

I am very sorry to hear about your dad's cancer and death at such an early age. Most forms of pancreatic cancer is a particularly ruthless and deadly forms of cancer that the medical community needs to find better treatments for. Hopefully in the near future.

While there is no perfect test for pancreatic cancers there are some genetic testing that can be done. Talk to a genetic counselor, geneticist, or an oncologist to way the pros and cons.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the American Cancer Society
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreaticcancer/index

Inherited DNA changes are thought to cause as many as 10% of pancreatic cancers. Because these inherited cases are sometimes linked with other cancers, determining whether a patient's relatives have an increased risk is not simple. Talking to someone with experience in hereditary cancer syndromes such as a genetic counselor, geneticist, or an oncologist (doctor who specializes in caring for people who have cancer) is often helpful.

The American Cancer Society strongly recommends that any person considering genetic testing talk with a genetic counselor, nurse, or doctor qualified to interpret and explain the test results before they proceed with testing. It is important for people to understand and carefully weigh the benefits and risks of genetic testing before these tests are done.

For people in families at high risk of pancreatic cancer, there are newer tests for detecting early pancreatic cancer that may help. One of these is called endoscopic ultrasound. This test is not used to screen the general public but might be used for someone with a strong family history of pancreatic cancer. Using endoscopic ultrasound, doctors have been able to find early, treatable pancreatic cancers in some members of high-risk families. In addition, interested families may wish to participate in ongoing research studies aimed at investigating the genetic factors and possible role of screening methods in those with a family history of the disease.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best of luck to you and your son.
Hector
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.