baby losing weight ):

I know this is for pregnancy and I'm no longer pregnant, I just love this app! Anyway, my baby was born Friday at 1:15pm weighing 9lbs 9.7oz. She was huge! Now it's been about 38 hours and she's already down to 9lbs even. The nurse said it's only a little more than expected to lose but I'm still nervous it will continue when we leave the hospital today or tomorrow. Any advice on keeping her weight up with exclusive breastfeeding? I will supplement with formula if that's what I need to do I would just prefer not to. Thank you so much.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I did have an iv, one nurse did tell me it was normal, I just freaked out because another said she lost too much. I'll ask about it at our lactation appointment tomorrow. The doctor told me not to pump until I go back to work so I'll stick to this as long as they say shes okay. I'll just worry like crazy for now, who needs sleep! Lol, thank you ladies so much!
Helpful - 0
Losing weight after birth is very normal
Helpful - 0
It is normal for babies to lose a little weight.
Helpful - 0
did you have an iv saline drip during your labor? sometimes they can pump too much fluids into you and your baby. after birth, the baby loses the excess water weight, which is probably what happened with your baby. ask your doctor about it.
Helpful - 0
Where I'm from, the doctors say as long as it's no more than 10% of their weight then it's ok. Anything more than 10%, they start to worry.
Helpful - 0
Hunnie don't do formula. If you want to BF them BF and continue to each hour. It will increase your supply. No formula. Its perfectly normal and healthy for them to lose weight the first couple days. Once your milk fully comes in your baby will start to gain weight again. :)
Helpful - 0
Or pump so that the baby is getting the breast milk but atleast with bottles u can actually see the amount they're drinking
Helpful - 0
If ur worried try formula so u know the amount baby is getting
Helpful - 0
What nurses somehow fail to tell mothers is that they are looking for the baby to lose weight.  Weight loss = healthy,  functioning renal (kidney) system.  If the baby doesn't lose weight,  there's a problem.

7 oz weight loss on a 9.7 pound baby is perfectly fine.  

Has your milk even come in yet?  
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
That's normal don't worry
Helpful - 0
If you are worried about how much milk she is taking, you can try to pump your milk so you know the quantity. If she is peeing and pooping regularly, she is having enough. You can weigh her everyday if you have a scale or ask if there is somewhere you can go to have her weighed every few days.
Congrats
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community