burping / winding newborn - pls help

hi ladies,  I had my baby girl 2 weeks ago. among sleepless nights, diaper explosions and countless breastfeeding sessions, I am just not able to burp / wind my baby.

I tried different positions, durations and during / after feeds ... but either I am not hearing it or she's just not burping. it scares me because sometimes like 10 minutes after feeding I find about a tablespoon of milk leaking out of her mouth, which can be dangerous if she's on her back and I don't happen to see it come out.

- is there any other way I can help her get rid of the excess air she may have swallowed, without burping her? other ways to burp besides on the shoulder or sitting on my lap?
- is the milk she spits out a sign of not being burped right,  or what is it?
- she gets hiccups very often after feeding, is that good / bad ?

thanks for your help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Try rhythmic burping. Have her on your shoulder, then One hand on her bottom one on her back that rhythmically pat switching between hands. Its the only thing that worked with my daughter
Helpful - 0
My babies were difficult to burp I would hold her against your chest and alternate between patting and rubbing in a circular motion.  
Helpful - 0
I heard its harder to burp a breastfed baby because they don't swallow as much air as a bottlefed baby.  I breastfed my two girls and if I didn't get a burp out I didn't worry.  I found sitting the baby up and leaning it forward into one hand while patting worked good for me.  Also what you are eating has a play in the spitting up. Hiccups are normal. I miss all that, I am 22 week along. Can't wait to see my little guy.
Helpful - 0
My breastfed baby wouldn't burp the first few weeks and would spit up and i thought it was from her not burping but she would spit up right before she got hiccups everytime and she still does but she burps now i don't think it's anything to worry about not all breastfeed babies burp in the beginning
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your advice ladies, I'll see what I can do.

another problem is that she falls asleep while feeding, so she's fast asleep while burping too. and in the nights I find it hard (ie. tiresome) to stay up and watch her in case any milk comes back up and out of her mouth. I'm so afraid she'll choke while I'm asleep.
Helpful - 0
When you lay her down at night, swaddle her and use maybe like a receiving blanket or something small rolled up under the left side of her back so that she is slightly leaning to the left. Your stomach drains from the right side,  so laying babies on their right side after feeding helps with draining and may help to keep her from spitting up. Also, being on her right side will help to keep her from choking or aspirating on her spit up, because it is more likely to drain out of the side of her mouth than sit in the back of her throat. It won't prevent it 100% but it will help.
Helpful - 0
Slightly leaning to the right*
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community