Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

fever

Baby is 3 weeks tomorrow and has an armpit temp of 99.1 currently. Was 99.6 then went down to 98.8 now BA k up to 99.1. I don't think he has any other symptoms... Would you wait it out or head in? I'm just stuck right now all 5 kids are sleeping and im the ky one here so wouldn't have anyone to watch them and would have to bring them tohisp with me  
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
12584065 tn?1436320514
And yes as said above, armpit temp can give off an innacurrate reading as much as 2 degrees lower than the actual temp.
Helpful - 0
12584065 tn?1436320514
Rectal temp is best for newborns. If you can, take it rectally. 100.4 rectally is when you need to take baby in. Anything less is not a concern.
Helpful - 0
Newborns tend to run a bit warmer and it's not a "concern" till it's 101.0 for longer than an hour I believe I'd still call someone or take baby in it's concer enough for this mommie
Helpful - 0
If it's under the arm temp I believe you add one or two degrees. I'm pretty sure it's two though. I would call your on call pediatrician just to be on the safe side.
Helpful - 0
Does it have instructions on your discharge papers at what point to take baby in for a fever. Maybe try to find a 24 hour nurse hotline. My clinic has one I use it when my son is sick and Idk if I should bring him in.
Helpful - 0
Can you take your babys temp rectally?? They say thats a lot more accurate
Helpful - 0
My dr. Said not to worry unless it's over 100. I believe.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.