Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pacifier?

Is it a bad to give a newborn a pacifier?? My fiance thinks its bad cause he'll get confused for milk and when its feeding time, he wont eat....soo what can I tell him to persuade him that its okay for our newborn to use a pacifier?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It sooths them. It a good thing. My son actually loved his when he was a newborn until he was 4 months and just stoped using one. Even now if I play with him and put it in his mouth (he's 15 months) he spit it out and go "blah" lol trust me it's a life savor .
Helpful - 0
I was told to look at it like this: some kids need to suck to soothe. So if you dont give them a pacifier they will suck their fingers. I have a friend whose 11yr old still to this day will suck her thumb when she is at home and thinks no one is looking. Her thumb is actually skew and the nail grows funny. So do you want a habit that cant really be broken or a pacifier that you can control and remove at any stage with only a few weeks of crying?
Helpful - 0
It's not bad. It helps soothe them. They'll know if it's a binki or breast
Helpful - 0
My son loved his. It helped sooth him and go to sleep and such. Id get sooo mad when we would be in a store anad some older person would come up to us and take it out, daying how moms today cant haandle their babies blaah blaah blah. Id rather him be hooked on thr pacifire then his thumb because he had to be sucking on something. And at least the pacifire could be taken away, his thumb could not
Helpful - 0
10961740 tn?1419817154
Base on the research I've done, I found out that pacifier give babies gas, and so make them cried.
Helpful - 0
With my first I didn't use one. With all of the rest I did. I didn't give it to them all the time but with my second child when I delivered her hands were all but raw. Its all she did in the womb. She sucked her hands. That was her comfort. So when she came into the world she loved being swaddled and would cry bc her hands would be tucked bc she had to have ointment on them. So as much as I was against pacifiers I realized as long as you don't use it as a plug to quiet your child( and take it away by a certain time) they really help to relax the baby.
Helpful - 0
It really all depends on if you are breast feeding or bottle feeding.. they make special pacifiers if you are breast feeding, that way they won't get nipple confusion.. If youre bottle feeding than it really doesn't matter what type you use.. I gave my daughter a pacifier right after she was born and I breast fed, we didn't have any issues. Good luck! :)
Helpful - 0
10870053 tn?1416581194
No it is actually a good thing. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but it exactly helps them.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.