Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

when did you start pumping?

I have a week old son and I am wondering when do mothers start pumping? Is it to early? My husband was saying to pump so he can help feed him sometimes at night but will he still take from the breast after the being exposed to the bottle?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I started pumping as soon as my milk came in as my little one wasn't feeding from the breast (had to use syringe & cup for 5 days). She started feeding from the breast on day 5. She's now 3wks & we just started introducing a bottle for the late feed for hubby to give. We use avent natural bottle & she takes it with no problem & still feeds from the breast too.
Helpful - 0
11847079 tn?1437705013
I started pumping as soon as my daughter was born
Helpful - 0
5875748 tn?1431563003
Also it depends on the type of bottle and how frequently. We waited three weeks to introduce the bottle and it was once a day just so I could get a longer stretch of sleep. I recommend Avent bottles.
Helpful - 0
5875748 tn?1431563003
As soon as my milk came in I started pumping because I was over producing and in a lot of pain from engorgement. If you're going to pump just make sure you do it right after baby has fed so that there will be more milk produced before he's hungry again.
Helpful - 0
I started pumping a few weeks before returning to work. At first my son would no breasfeed because the milk flows from the bottle so quickly. I decided the only time he would have a bottle was when I wasn't with him to breastfeed him that way he knew that when mom was here he didn't get the bottle.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.