Parenting Teens (12-17) Community

Is the trust broken where theft is concerned?

Hi, I know the above questions is puzzling but let me explain. I've been a single parent since the birth of my 1 and only child.
My 16 year old son has stolen from my purse multiple times. I've spoken to him many times, he lies about it and now I've reach the point where I can no longer bare to have him near me. I love him so much but when I see him, I see a thief living in my home. I'm trying so hard to see him as my child but it's become more difficult especially after another theft has happened - the remorse builds up. I've reached a point to kick him out into the streets for him to learn what life is about, the hard way. The anger and hurt inside me is so overwhelming just thinking about his behavior. Yet, I'm also worried whether he'll learn from the streets or will his behavior get worse? Will this ruin the rest of his life?