Parenting Teens (12-17) Community

Puberty or Depression

My 13 year old daughter has been moody for 3 months.  Crying one minute and irritable the next.  She frequently complains of stomach aches or headaches. She does not sleep well and hardly eats at all saying she just does not want to eat.  I am concerned that there may be a hormone issue or depression going on here, but my co-workers say she is just being a teen-ager. At what point should I get concerned.
Have there been any new happenings in her life,in the 3 months you have noticed this emotional behavior, what happened prior to this time? New school ,new Baby, new house or a move to a new area , it is also probably some hormone s going on, if she hasnt started her period she will soon it could be tied up with that , maybe girls have been chatting about it, ask her, have a talk and find out if she is concerned about anything.
I can not think of anything new in her life.  No significant events in the family.  We noticed the moodiness over the summer when she is with friends less and siblings more, but it did not improve when school started.  She tells me nothing is wrong, and she does not need to talk about it.  But she described herself as sad and cranky.  I asked if she was sad and cranky at school too, or just at home with her siblings - her response was that everybody makes her cranky.  My "mom sense" tells me this is just not right.
Perhaps just simply let her be for the moment and see how she does,maybe  its   a phase, at 13 it could be her Hormones changing her into a Woman,you are obviosly caring and supportive, dont mention it and it will mend it self or if there is something upsetting her, if you back off ,she will be more forthcoming.
Hope this helps:

Recognizing teen depression for what it is no easy matter either.  There are various depression symptoms to be on the look-out for as parents of teens, teachers, helpers, friends and influencers in the teenagers life, particularly if these depression-like symptoms are uncharacteristic of the teen, disruptive to daily life and normal functioning, leads to negative behaviour that impacts or endangers the interpersonal social and family relationships, consistent low self esteem vented as either aggression and/or withdrawal and feelings of worthlessness and futility,  that lasts more than two weeks and do not seem to dissipate: irrational on-going uneasiness and anxiety, interference with the ability to think clearly, notice and remember details, inability to make any/good decisions, poor performance in school, withdrawal from friends and activities,  inexplicable feelings of despair, guilt, apathy, sadness and hopelessness, lack of enthusiasm, energy or motivation, anger and rage, overreaction to criticism, feelings of being unable to satisfy ideals , poor self-esteem or guilt,  forgetfulness, restlessness and agitation, noticeable and significant changes in eating or sleeping patterns, fatigue,  insomnia, appetite disturbances, substance abuse, problems with authority, suicidal thoughts or actions. Some of these, all or a couple of these symptoms might be present which merits discussing it openly, keeping the channels of communication open, seeking professional help and counsel.

http://www.parentteen.com/teen_depression.html