Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

bedtime spider phobia 12yr old

My 12 yr old son has a spider phobia at night when he gets in bed---with accompanying tears, fetal position on top of the covers, sleepless hours. He's also been afraid to go anywhere in the house by himself. There's no obvious chaos or upheaval in his life. He's fearful of spiders during the day---but this fear is not as extreme as it is at night. I feel for him and don't know what to do to help him. He wants to sleep in my room but I won't allow it. We've sprayed his room, we look under his covers and pillows, etc. Nothing seems to help. Could this be mostly separation anxiety or is it truly a spider fear? I would be so grateful for insight or suggestions!

Charlotte
2 Responses
535822 tn?1443976780
Has anyone teased him about spiders, has he seen any movies out there on TV or PC, has he older brothers or family may have talked about them frightening him, it sounds as if something has happened.Have you asked him ,why and what triggered it, a lot of children and adults are afraid of Spiders it is a phobia, there are books written about it, google for information.Dont react to it just say there are no spiders there and let it go, if you make more of it he will remain afraid,
1075712 tn?1256040536
My son had a spider phobia at night too.  We solved bedtime issues by spraying his room with bug spray (really air freshener) every night before bed.  We kept him out of the room while spraying, so he would breathe in the fumes (hence going in with the two spray cans) and then he was none the wiser to the switch off.  You could try that and see if it works for him.  He also still uses a night light.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Teens (12-17) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.