Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

4 yr old won't listen

My son is 4 years old. He does not listen especially when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to or that it's time to sleep either for a nap or at bedtime. Yesterday he did really well, but then my dad & brother came by today & it seems like all that went out the window. I know kids have good days & bad days, but I'll really get him listening & I don't think he gets disciplined at all at my dad's so when he goes there overnight & comes home it's like starting all over again. I've tried raising my voice, taking things away, spanking on the butt....what can I do to get my child to listen to me & know I mean business?
Have you tried a naughty step or chair? We used the naughty step and it was great.  Everytime he's bad put him on the naughty step for 4 mins, if he gets off before then put him straight back without saying anything, keep doing this until he has done 4 mins, once he has, bend down so you are level with him and explain to him firmly why he was put there, get him to say sorry and give him a hug. There will be tantrums but after a few times he will get used to it and hopefully will start listening to you.
No I haven't tried that but I will give it a shot. thank you :)