Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Clingy child & plays alone

I have a 4 year old son who is full of energy. He has been diagnose ADHD & ANXIETY problems from a child wellness center. My question is there are large amounts of times he is very clingy to me or my wife. When he is talking to one of us he is always touch or rubbing one of us. I really don't like it, but i have issues with people in my private space. I do not know if this is normal or is there a problem here. Something elsa i was wondering when we go to different events like birthday parties, swimming pools or to other peoples house, he will not play with other kids. He will play by himself away from the other children and it is really concerning to me. I do not know if the 2 problems are connect or if there separate issue that we need to address.
he is very clingy to me or my wife
he is talking to one of us he is always touch or rubbing one of us
he will not play with other kids. He will play by himself away from the other children

These three quotes from your posting are behaviours common to children suffering from anxiety - possibly social anxiety, in your son's case.  I might suggest you google the phrase "social anxiety and children" or "behaviors of children with anxiety" or similar words/phrases.  You should be able to find lots and lots of information about this issue.  If you feel his anxiety is severe, then ask your doctor for a referral to a medical specialist with experience in anxiety disorders.  Anxiety is a very common issue with children and is highly treatable.

One more thing - many children who suffer from anxiety are also misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD.  This is because the behaviours of ADHD and anxiety are very similar; the difference being that children suffering from anxiety do not exhibit hyperactive behaviours when in a safe and confortable environment (children with ADD/ADHD exhibit these hyper behaviours all of the time).  Just be aware of this point as I would hate for your son to be mis-labelled and/or mis-treated through incorrect medication.  I hope this helps ....