Cost for a nanny

I don't make a lot of money, I am a teacher and my husband is a mechanic. I am looking into getting a nanny when the second child is born rather than running an infant around every day. I was hoping to send my 2 year old to preschool a couple days a week but am finding out that may not be possible financially. I am wondering what most people pay for a nanny. I have been quoted $7 an hour which I know isn't bad but that would leave me with almost nothing every week. Just hoping someone could tell me what they have heard.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If one child is an infant, I would count myself lucky if the 2-year-old is satisfied with the situation.  The older child will want attention, and it can be quite hard to juggle two kids.  I would not expect housework.

The Goddard School in my area takes infants up to age 6.  You might look into something like that and compare rates.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info. It is so hard to gage this since taking yoru kids to someone else's home is much cheaper. She is a young girl but has experience being a nanny and working in after school programs. When you were quoted $15 what all does that include? I know many do housework and stuff which I am not so worried about.
Helpful - 0
I've been quoted $15, especially when one child is an infant.  Sounds like $7 is a bargain.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community