Aa
A
A
A
Close
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3.37k Members

Custody

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question?
My friend is currently in a custody battle over her 2 year old son (soon to be 3). My friend is nearly 24 and I am 17. If my friend lost joint custody and the father had the child full time will the situation be reassesed if we were to move into a larger house and I was to move in.
Thanks
Lauren xx
2 Responses
13167 tn?1327197724
This is really up to the courts to decide.  

I don't know how family courts operate in the UK,   but it's hard to imagine that introducing a minor friend into the household makes the household more stable.  I'm not really seeing how that would be a plus for a judge deciding custody to have another unrelated minor living in the home.  

It's sweet of you to want to help,  I'm just not seeing that this idea would be helpful to her.

377493 tn?1356505749
I have to agree with RR.  I don't think it would help much.  If the system is the same over there as here in Canada, or even similar, the size of home really doesn't make much difference.  They will want her to be stable financially..not wealthy or anything, but with a proven financial support.  Either through social assistance, or through work.  Stable also means clean of drug use or alcohol abuse.  If there is a history of either of those and none with the father, it will make it harder for her.  They will want her to provide a stable and clean home, but how big is not that important.  A 2 bedroom is sufficient.  Taking parenting classes is also always helpful.

These are just some of the basics that courts typically look for.  There are always so many variables, but for the most part, the parent with the most stable home environment and lifestyle is going to wind up with custody.  Good luck to your friend.  I hope all works out for her and the child.
Have an Answer?
Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.