Four year old says she has no friends but doesn't attend preschool to know help!

Hi all! Ok 1st Im not a mother, but my niece is 4 years old, uses better diction than I do & smart far passed her years! She also has a 1 year old sister. I have my psych degree but dont understand this. My sister's a stay at home mother & today she was getting the girls ready to go to the park. Its been about a month since she quit her job to be home (they were being kept by my mom) so after the children would not listen to her today & running around like crazy & refused to get out the door, my sister got frustrated & went to the bathroom to sit for a minute to basically take a deep breath & recompose herself. As most moms know there are no breaks,

So both kids go running in the bathroom bc of course that's where mommy is and the four year old out of no where says "I don't have any friends! You just don't understand" no one can figure out what she meant or why she said it. When her mom asked all she would do is repeat it. What could she really mean? She doesn't go to preschool, just mothers mornings out a few times (when she was 3) and now they don't have the money to put her in one. She has tons of cousins & at church named her 3 best friends. But its not like she's been anywhere to be rejected or kids not play with her on the playground etc...plus if kids are around she is the leader & they flock to her. I know this is lengthy but want the full & back story so all would know. Any ideas, advice to get her to talk, Should we be worried or could it be a reaction from seeing her mom frustrated (not upset or mad just a regular over tired frustrated for a few moments mom)...thanks!..
**also she doesn't consider her little sister her friend, but still plays with her some, but she calls me her best friend.. As any other adult who plays w her
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Anyone?
Helpful - 0
Well,  does she have friends?  The kind of friends who invite her to their homes,  and she goes to their homes to play,  not just the kind of friends she sees because everyone is in the same Sunday school class?  
Helpful - 0
Sorry it took so long, couldn't log in.. Anyway well she has friends such as neighbors and her cousins & yes at church but her mother hasnt let her go to anyone's house other than ppl we are related alone, her not going to a preschool she hasn't got to meet other kids except at the new church..could a 4 year old still feel that way even though she spends time with children related to her & ppl at church? She's changed a lot since her sister was born but she's over a year old now...? Thanks again I hate I'm just getting to this!
Helpful - 0
It may be something she sees on tv. All children shows emphasize the importance of having friends, being a friend etc. She may just want a group outside of home to play with that are just for her. My nephew had issues like this starting kindergarten because of kids segregating themselves from him, while this isn't the same issue as your niece,  I can tell you that kids are very emotional but also resilient. She's not likely to be scarred for life by feeling friendless. She may not remember this next week, and definitely not when she starts kindergarten herself.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community