Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Loss of a classmate

My soon-to-be 5 year old son's classmate just passed away. It is truly tragic and I am praying for her and her family. My son always talked about this girl, said that he really liked her, and was always very excited when we ran into her in a grocery store.

At school, they are going to tell all the children that she is at a better place and will not be coming back to school.

He seems to understand a concept of death already, but never experiences a loss of a friend or family. I beleive that he may be too young to attend a funeral. ...Let me know about your experience.

Thank you in advance for your help
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for your comments, I will not take him.....I am totally clueless because in 27 years I've managed not to attend any (nobody close to me passed away)....

Thank you again - you comments make lots of sense to me

Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
Too youngto go,  will only worry him if you want to go leave him at home with someone, and make the talk about it light , many children get upset when  family members  die and its usually because they hear a lot of adult talk they dont understand and gives them nightmares. I am so sorry for you and your boy and the Family of this child..Tell him it is all a part of living then let it go.
Helpful - 0
112359 tn?1226867083
I wouldn't take such a young child to a funeral, especially one for a child. They can be very emotional affairs, much more so than when an older adult dies. I don't think he's old enough to understand it all and get closure from it, I think it is more likely to confuse and/or scare him. Just my thoughts. My son's aunt died when my son was 5, I did not want to take him to the funeral and I have not regretted that decision. He knows she died and has his own good memories of her, he does not have any images of people crying or being upset.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.