My 2.5 yrs old daughter doesn't eat

My 2.5 yrs old daughter does eat any food with interest. She doesn't like chewing and swallowing. If we force her to take the spoon in her mouth & chew, she'll sit for several minutes before she can swallow the stuff. We've tried everything - love, scolding etc but nothing seems to help. I fear that she has started losing her weight owing to this habit and may lose more.

Has anyone faced this issue with their kid? Having consulted the doctor, she says its a habit and the kid will outgrow with time, so no medical solution available I guess. Any behavioural changes that I could bring in me / my child will help as I have to spend 2 hours per meal and even then the quantity that goes in is not per what a 2.5 year old should be eating.

pls help!!

Thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Jyoti,

I know , I can understand ur concern but let me tell you, I have a twins and both are as old as ur daughter(2.6 yrs). Feeding them is a real big task I tell you, ur doctor is right...it is no medical condition that requires treatment. Just a habbit of child, children change theri tast buds often...Try different things on her...different tastes....I am sure a change of place or taste shoudl help her...do take her to the lawn where she can see the road filled with vehicles and she may eat without her knowledge...till children grow older to eat by themselves sitting in a place , we definely have to force them and we need to do it without theri knowledge...

regards,
Kavitha.
Helpful - 0
Where are these doctors you two are going to?!? You CAN get help...it sounds like your children have sensory issues and could benefit from oral motor therapy from an SLP and even an OT (Speech-language pathologist and Occupational Therapist). I'm an SLP and my son has sensory issues...he can take 4-5 minutes to swallow one bite of hot dog...it drives me insane!

Contact your local Early Steps provider and tell them your concerns. Or, get an evaluation by an occupational therapist or SLP...by brushing your child's mouth with a dry toothbrush before meals (get all around, tongue included) you can "wake up" the mouth and it will help them to eat a little faster.

Helpful - 0

Thanks a ton, My problem resolved....long back, it was just a experience in the past. My daughter is fine, she eats well and by herself infact, it is just the normal stuff , a matter of taste to both my kids...they like the food they eat, else there is a problem, I won't know of jothi's kid, but it is better for Jothi to check...if this is the case. My daughter is still awersed to milk or any liquid other than water...I did do a check and found everything was normal it is a normal disliking towards liquid food...the doctor told me , had there been a problem then she should'nt have been taking water as well.

regards,
Kavitha.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community