A
A
A
Close
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3.37k Members
142452 tn?1262036275

My almost-3 ds doesn't poo regularly

My son is 2 and for the past year he's had issues with being afraid to make a bm. And he isn't potty trained and this didn't come from an attempt to potty train. He just seemed to decide it was unpleasant, either gross or painful, and started holding it. We talked to the pediatrician, we gave him diabetic candy, laxatives, fiber gummies - and he generally eats a good diet for pooing. (He loves black beans.) The problem isn't consistency, it's that he just doesn't push it out when the urge hits him. For the past month and a half, I've been charting him. He poos now twice a week, and without discomfort, although he still does quite a little dance and gets upset. When we first gave him the fiber gummies, he went almost every day for a week, but then went back to his old routine. I'm figuring as long as he goes twice a week and isn't uncomfortable, that's ok, but I'd feel better if he went more often.
3 Responses
756023 tn?1338524035
It would be good if he went more but twice is okay too.  Have you tried to sit him on the potty??? Maybe he doesn't like the feeling of having poop in his diaper.  My now 3 year old trained at 2 years because she couldn't stand being dirty.  The training was quick and easy because of this discomfort.    
1141224 tn?1278728981
I think Sasha has a very good point! you could explain to him that if he goes on the potty he can just flush it away. Maybe he's embarrassed to have you clean his diapers now? You never know, children are all so different. It's definitely not too healthy that he only go twice a week. Most children go at least 1-2 times per day. However, during the transition of potty training, it can lessen because they tend to hold it in for several reasons. It's great that you have charted when he has a BM. So the next step, I think, is sitting him on the potty and explaining to him that it's healthy and good to go every day. Reward him after wards so he will feel he accomplished something! Good luck!  
1149127 tn?1268132224
yup. good points.. but really every child is different.. my child was just pooping only once a week months before. I tried everything I have researched but nothing worked. Maybe she already have a phobia of letting it out if it hurts or its really uncomfortable...
sarah_mancelita***@****
Have an Answer?
Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.