Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Please, Please help me!!

My son is 22 months old. He throw horrible tantrums, which is expected. On the other hand, he has a very big heart. If he sees someon crying, he wil be the first one over there giving hugs. This morning at daycare I took a bouncy ball away from him and he freaked out. I was kneeling down talking to my daughter and he came up to me and kept hitting me in the head. He would do whatever he could to get behind me so he could hit me without me trying to stop him. Hitting is always his way of telling people he's mad. I can't have him hitting other people. He doesn't care who it is. Please help me to teach him not to hit when he's mad. Any tips on this, I would greatly appreciate!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Okay, I'm a graduate student in School Psychology, so I can name some things that might help.  You could tell him stories about little boys who get angry and do not hit.  you might even be able to find kids books about this.  They're called Social Stories.  If you can't find them, make them.  Also, be very consistent with him about what the rules are, and reward him for good behavior more often than you punish him for bad behavior.  If he's hitting like that, there might be something emotional going on.
Helpful - 0
I just found a Social Story online for you.  Here's the link: http://www.region2library.org/SocialStories.htm

It's called I Am Mad
Helpful - 0
wow lol. Reading a 22 month old a story like that and expecting them to understand it the way you are talking about is unrealistic.
I have a 18 month old. I think your best bet is to punish the bad behavior. You have to decide what is punishment for him. Time outs, taking away some of his toys till he can behave things like this may work better than reading him a story. I am also a psychology student and know that in no way is a 22 month old ready to understand a story and comprehend it that way.
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
What would be good is to figure out why he is doing it,if you took his bouncy ball he was upset ,when he comes up to hit you dont feed into it walk away and let him yell,it gets him attention if you dont give the attention he wont do it. Focus on his postive side , play games with him, Get Dad involved with outside activities and Fun..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.