Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Recurring HIGH fever in a 1 year old..

Hi. My son is 13 months old. Since he was about 5 months old, he has off and on developed fevers. He developed teeth early ( he has 13 teeth now) and had several colds from daycare. At the age of around 8 months old, he developed a 106 fever and was rushed to the ER. They sent us home that night with antibiotics and said it was a virus. Since then, yes since then.. he has had a fever on and off. A week has not gone by without developing a fever in between the range of 100-105. Many times, he has no other sympton AT ALL. Now, it has been 7 weeks with recurring HIGH ( 101-104) FEVER. Every time we take him to the doctor, they say it is justa virus and to let it pass. I cannot take this "virus thing" as the answer anymore. Is it just me? Am I crazy or is this abnormal? What does this sound like to you? I need a doctor to help him!
Well, where do I begin...I'm no doctor and I don't know what underlying medical issue there might be but I do understand your frustration with the "it's just a virus" answer.  It sounds ridiculous to me.  What does his pediatrician say?  If he feeds you with the same bullc***, I would find a different one.  Recurrent fevers do not sound normal and giving him antibiotics so often, as you know I'm sure, is not that great for his immune system.  I hope you find answers soon.  All the best.
Do they check his tonsils or throat during these fever episodes? My sister's 2 year old just had her tonsils out because she was getting a fever of very high temps every 28 days due to her throat infections. Sounds weird, I've heard it called periodic fever? It's very frustrating. The doctors don't like to take the tonsils out that young but the high fevers arent good for them either. good luck
Well, I just found this post and had to respond depite the delay. My 20 month old is having a similar problem. She is not in daycare so is not catching viruses from other children and other members of our household are not ill (including a baby brother). She has been taken to the ER are several occasions with a fever over 105. (Twice it was 106.5.) A few times she was actually diagnosed with something (flu, RSV) but more than half a dozen times it was "virus of undetermined origin" and was not given antibiotics. Her fevers last anywhere from 3 days to three weeks, but she has only been without fever a max of three weeks since she was 9 mo old. Everytime she sees a new doctor we get a new opinion. Now her docter is testing her for something called Mediterranean Fever - which I am doubtful about after reading the details of it online. I know this is of no help to you but I thought it might provide some peace to know you are not alone (or crazy as some Docs make me feel)
i know your post wasnt recent but my son is nw 22 months old born 7-10-06 and has the same thing as your child. since he was 5 months old he has gotten fevers up to 106 (never lower than 102). He has never had any other symptoms except one UTI. I've taken him to numerous hospitals and pediatricians and no one can give me any answers. He isnt in daycare and i also have a 7th month old daughter who never catches what he has which makes me even more scared. His peds have done tons of blood work but could never come up with anything. i worry all day every day feeling his head because he gets sick every 2-8 weeks. If you find any answers please let me know!!!

_Kelley
Ok, I'm not sure if you all will still read this post, but I wanted to tell you there's hope! My daughter went through the same scenario with the high fevers. (Nothing like catching hot vomit in your hands, huh?) These fevers started at 1 1/2 years and were like clockwork; every 5-6 weeks, we were in the ER (her fevers ALWAYS spiked at night and it usually happened on a friday or saturday night.) with a fever of 105 degrees and no other symptoms. And they sent us home with antibiotics EVERY time. We would then follow up with the doctor ASAP. Very rarely was she still feverish, so the doctor ASSUMED that it was an infection and that the antibiotics.
To make a long story short: we did EVERY test out there and dutifully went to the ER and the doctor EVERY time it happened. We piggybacked the ibuprofen and tylenol but often still couldn't keep her fever lower than 104...After about two years of this, the doctor implied that I was doing something to make this happen to my daughter. That is when I finally went nuts and told her that she was absolutely worthless and HOW DARE she accuse me of trying to hurt my own baby. Anyway, to get rid of us, she referred us to a PEDIATRIC INFECTIOUS DISEASE doctor. THIS doctor asked me a few questions:
1. Was it a predictable event?
   A: Yes. I had started realizing that my daughter was acting out a few days before the fever came. Plus it happened every 5-6 weeks anyway. I had started marking it on the calendar.

2. Did it happen the same was every time?
   A: Yes. It was like de ja vu.

3. Was I, or my husband, of Mediterranean decent?
   A: No. But, apparently there is a fever syndrome that goes along with that ethnic background.

So, within five minutes of entering his office, I finally had an answer. It was Periodic Fever Syndrome. He prescribed oral steroids which were to help lessen the intensity and duration of the "attacks." I was told that she would grow out of it in a few more years, which she did. Life has been wonderful without the fevers! Take care and good luck. Hope this helps! Oh, and last thing: the cause of the fevers? It was just her immune system attacking itself... It was working too well. Which made sense, since every time she got sick (respiratory infection, ear infection, etc.) her fevers were spaced much further apart... Her body had been given something real to fend off!

Hi, I have 18 month twin girls.  They have had on and off fevers every 2-3 weeks now since they were 7 months old.  7 months old is when they started getting ear infections.  I was told that if they got tubes they would not get so many fevers.  They still continue to get fevers.  It's like they can't get better because they just keep passing the fever to one another.  They are not in daycare.  I dont know what to do anymore.  I feel so bad for them.  It seems like they are always sick! The doctor's just tell me it is a virus and that it will go away.  That is not good enough for me. I need answers..I want answers. What do I do?