Rough 4 year old

My son is four and just started a new daycare in September. He has gotten progressively rougher with the children in his class. He pushes, shoves, hits and kicks others. I have never seen this behavior in him until the new school. I have tried rewards, punishment, bribes, and visiting school. They called again today about his behavior and are going to refer him for evaluation. What can I do to bring out the sweet boy that they are not seeing, before he becomes mis diagnosed with some sort of long medical terminolgy. He says he does not know why he is doing it. He promises every morning to be good, but cannot seen to keep his hands to himself.Please help. What can I do to calm him down and teach him to be gentle with others.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Find out how the supervision is at school reading your thread it does sound like there are issues there .
Helpful - 0
My child is also having behavioral problems at daycare.  I just don't understand how a child can be so good and sweet at home, and so naughty at daycare.  Is the problem with the child, the daycare, or our parenting?  We just don't know what the right answer is.  Do we pull him from daycare which would be the 5th time in chaning daycares(each time was a different reason), or do we make him stick it out so that he'll learn to deal with different people?  We are having to spend this next week going to daycare with him.  I'm not sure how effective it will be since he will know that we are there.  I have also taken him to the IBS treatment center in Seattle, where they did a food allergy panel test.  We have to wait a month for the results though.  I'm hoping this will help with some of the problems.  
Helpful - 0
Some children get aggressive in a big crowd, cannot tolerate noise levels.....Remember that at home he deals with mature adults while at school he deals with a crowd of 4 year olds who, well, not too mature most of the times......

Evaluation will not hurt though.....Sounds like, for whatever reason, he does not function well around peers.....Changing daycares often certainly does not help - communicating with teachers on a daily basis does - you will see what triggeres it and which situations make his aggressive.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community