Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1615999 tn?1307461942

UTI in 1 yr old???

Does anyone have a child that had a UTI at a young age?  If so could you please let me know what symptoms the child showed?  I am wondering if a UTI is the reason that my daughter is just not herself lately.  Please help!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
535822 tn?1443976780
May I ask why you think she has a UTI is she displaying symptoms, discomfort ,,any redness ,wetting a lot.How do you mean 'not herself lately ' ?.
Helpful - 0
1615999 tn?1307461942
Well, now I am leaning away from the UTI, it was just kind of a thought.  She has a REALLY bad diaper rash and has had diareah for the last couple days.  She is eating and drinking well though.  She is waking up at night and whining and seems to have trouble getting comfortable.  At 3am I woke up to her kicking in her crib and then 5 minutes later she was sleeping again.  She woke up at 4am then, kicking a lot and whining.  I went in to check on her and she needed to be changed.  She blew up her diaper and I had to change the diaper and her jammied.  I also had to layer on the diaper rash ointment because she is bright red.
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
At 1 year old her teeth are probably coming in very often they do get upset tums, has she been eating anything different may have caused it, I always found a good barrier was plain old vaseline smoothed on ,but now she has the rash something emollient is better to clear it .It would feel uncomfortable , best to change her a lot whilst she has the rash as it will sting when she 'goes' . good luck
Helpful - 0
1615999 tn?1307461942
Do you know what the signs of a yeast infection in an infant would be?  The diaper rash has been there all week and does not seem to be going away.  Her sitter is thinking maybe it's a yeast infection.

She has not eaten anything different lately and she is teething so that could have something to do with it.  I just don't know what to do about this rash.  We have done desitin, powder, a&d and even burnt flour (a trick the MIL suggested) but it just does not seem to be going away.
Helpful - 0
703031 tn?1398963307
Just ran across your post and was reading.  For your daughter's diaper rash, it is most likely from the diarrhea.  Diarrhea can oftern burn their skin.  Instead of diaper rash creams, try coating either her skin or her diaper with vaseline at every change.  Put it on as thick as you can.  This will keep future bm's and urinations from burning her while her skin heals.  By tomorrow you should see a reduction in redness and swelling and within 2 to 3 days the rash should be gone.  This will also keep her from waking in the night from the pain of the bm's and urination.

Best of luck!
Helpful - 0
1615999 tn?1307461942
Thanks so much for the advice! I will definitely give that a shot.  I am willing to do anything to take care of this for her!  =(
Helpful - 0
703031 tn?1398963307
Any time!  I've used the vaseline trick many, many times and just recently as well.  My 18 month old had about 2 days of bad diarrhea.

I forgot to address your concerns about a yeast infection.  It's uncommon for a young child to get one but it does happen.  Happened to my other daughter when my wash rag was used on her.  You can check out pics on webmd but basically is looks red, raised and like a "fir tree" appearance.  If that's the case, the pediatrician can give her a prescription med. that will work nearly instantly.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.