diaper rash

My 3 year old daughter gets this horrible diaper rash about every 2 months, I used different types of diaper rash creams but it won't go away and the thing is she doesn't wear a diaper anymore so she's never wet or dirty I cannot understand why she has this diaper rash, in between this bad diaper rashes she never has any skin irritations down there but every two months she gets it bad, I don't know should I be concerned and look deeper into her health, it seems very odd to have them every two months and appear from nowhere because she uses toilet all the time and I make sure she always wiped clean, did anybody else had this problem?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Have not experienced this however it sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order. If it is a rash they have stronger creams. If it something else then you can find out. This happened twice with my daughter it wasn't rash but irritation. One time she actually had a bladder infection another time yeast. The doctor didn't think it could be either of those thing because of her age, but turned out to be. Never figured out cause.
Helpful - 0
One other thing watch her fluid intake make sure she is getting enough water and not too much juice. Her urine could be very acidic causing the irritation on the skin.
Helpful - 0
She is drinking lots of water and juice every once in a while but diluted, how old was your daughter when she had bladder infection or yeast? Now that I read your comment I'm thinking its possible with my daughter too, she sometimes says its kinda painful down there, is there supposed to be some kind of discharge when having infection?
Helpful - 0
A yeast infection on the skin is not like a vaginal yeast infection.  It can look like a bad diaper rash.  When my son would get one of those when he was still in diapers, I would sometimes treat it (his bottom) with Vagisil.  Not all diaper rashes are yeast- based, but some sure are.
Helpful - 0
She was not yet potty trained and still in diapers. No discharge just extreme irritation and regular rash cream did not help. Needed perscription.
Helpful - 0
That's the most interesting thing she's not in diapers anymore, I can only wonder how she got it, reading more about it I'm sure now its yeast infection, sometimes it gets better then it gets worse again and bleeding, feel so sorry for her, on top of this she got a ringworm, again, and she's not in contact with any pets, I think this yeast infection and ringworm are somehow related, will talk to her pediatrician about it, did your kids have ringworm ever?
Helpful - 0
No, my children have never had ringworm. But, ringworm is a fungus. Pets are only one way a person can be infected. Other ways are contact with people or items that are contaminated with fungus. It is highly contagious so once in contact it can be spread fairly easily.
Helpful - 0
It's her third time getting a ringworm in 3 years, she gets one every year, we mostly stay at home so she wasn't in contact with people who have ringworm and not in contact with pets, me and my husband never got it from her though, I have no idea why she gets it every year, and we're very protective, very cautious over what she touches and puts in her mouth, I think she has it all the time and something triggers it and it comes out, every time different place, actually now in two places.
Helpful - 0
Hi nesik,

Ringworm is, of course not a worm, but a fungus called tinea.  It is very common in children and can be found anywhere on the body.  It is often associated with pets but can also transmitted from human to human and can be quite contagious if combs, brushes, towels, clothing, hats and even gloves are shared.  You mentioned your daughter has had "a" ringworm every year for the last three years, meaning just one patch?  The fungus usually presents as small "blister" rimmed circles and spreads outward from there.  Even after the original "blisters" have disappeared the circle(s) may continue spreading outward forming an almost crusty patch or patches. An anti-fungal cream or ointment is almost always needed to clear up ringworm.

Now, about your diaper rash question. It's quite possible your daughter could have any of the conditions mentioned in the posts above. Or even more than one. The diagnosis should always be made by a physician.

One word about bladder infections.  Boys and girls have always loved a good bubble bath, however bubble baths are the number one cause of bladder infections, in girls especially. A girl's urethra  is much shorter than a boy's and no matter how gentle the formulation, bubbles are still soap.  Once soap enters the urethra it acts as an irritant and the longer she soaks or plays the more irritating it becomes.  Unless she had drank a lot of water before her bubble bath or cranberry juice after (to flush the soap completely from the urethra) chances are pretty high a bladder infection will ensue and antibiotics will be needed.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community