help

I know this is a pregnancy app, but how do u get your 1 yr old toddler to bed by himself he has slept with us since he was 6 months because he got use to sleeping at my side when I stayed at my moms. So now that he is 1 I am now trying to put him to sleep in his crib..
PLEASE HELP WITH ANY ADVICE
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I don't have a child yet, (10 days!) but I remember helpig with my little brother... You kind of just have to put him in the crib and let him be. Of course check in with him, but if he's upset, he will cry but you can't cave in! Or else he'll know that crying will get him out of that uncomfortable situation! I know it's hard to do that to your child, but you gotta lay down the rules momma!
Helpful - 0
If that doesn't work, put him in the crib and lay down in the same room until he falls asleep, you could lay on the floor or rest in a rocking chair... Be silent like you are trying to sleep, tell him it's bed time or time to sleep, don't pay too much attention to the crying or whining, then slowly ween yourself from the room start leaving right before he falls asleep and then sooner and sooner. Set a routine play lullabies have him sleep with a stuffed animal or favorite blanket, that way when you are totally gone and don't stay in there anymore, he still has something familiar.
Helpful - 0
My mom would let my nephew sleep with her in her bed and once he fell asleep she would put him in his bed.
Helpful - 0
I luckily didn't had any problem with my kid when his sister arrived there was no room for him in our bed he has never slept in crib so we bought him a car toddler bed and the first night I stayed with him sang to him like always and slowly he drifted to sleep I did that everyday until he got used to it but sadly he won't go to sleep by himself someone always has to be with him. It will take time but your Kid will get used to sleep on his own bed. Good luck
Helpful - 0
We had this issue with our son.  We slowly started moving him farther away.  First to a crib on the side of our bed, then slowly moving the crib further towards the door in our room, then i slept on a blow up air mattress in his room, still aways from his crib until he would go to sleep without me being in there.  It was a process, and we were probably too soft about it, but there were less meltdowns.
Helpful - 0
Thank u ladies :) yeah I went with sheree15 put him to sleep with us and then put him in the crib :) the first option was to pit him in there let him be and hoping eventually he would fall asleep first one to cave in was my husband :0 ugh but he said that it was kind of telling my son that was the doggy house ( time out place) so yeah that didn't work. But thank u ladies so very much little by little its going to work hopefully by doing that he weens of the boob for the night
Helpful - 0
You welcome it worked like a charm for my nephew. Some if not most kids just like to feel the warmth being next to a human body/ parents when they fall asleep.  Warmth soothes them and gives them comfort. You know because they so use to being close to a human body/ mommy's body un particular while in the womb.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community