Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

outrageous tantrums- how can I control it?

My 22 month old son has outrageous fits. These will happen out of the blue and are for no reason at all, but sometimes it’s when he doesn’t have his way. His favorite word is nnnooooo and he’ll say it over and over and over again. then he will start hitting me in the face and head and it’s not just me he does it to, it’s everyone. The only way I can explain it is he is a light switch. He will stop when I pretend I’m crying. He has a huge heart and feels bad for the things he does. I’m not looking for an answer as to why he does it, but what I can do to control the situation. He doesn’t understand a time out and if yell back at him with a “yes” it just puts fuel on his fire. Are there any suggestions anyone can give me to calm him down, or even make him understand that hitting is not good?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
When my 18 month old does the same thing I punish her. You have to figure out what works for him. She gets a pat on the hand or butt and a time out depending on the severeity of her actions.
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
He is copying what you or someone else is saying, thats what children do they learn from us, no punishing , the answer is not to feed into it if you react to the behavior it enforces it , next time he starts to yell no or go to hit you say nothing walk away, if you dont react it will stop...
Helpful - 0
When my 21 month old daughter throws things, misbehaves too badly, gets too sassy or refuses to do something I told her to do, she gets a time out and has to stand in the corner.  Of course, the punishment has to fit the age and act, so she only goes in the corner for a few seconds.  But a few seconds is all she needs!  She immediately says sorry and picks up whatever she threw, or does whatever I wanted.

But I agree with Darkestlight, you have to find what works with him.  Dont smile or yell or give him too much of a reaction.  Just punish him and stay firm.   He has to understand hitting is wrong and will absolutely not be tolerated by mommy.
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
Try not to yell back at him as he is reacting to that, hitting a child means they will copy and do it to others,keep trying the time out way,a lot of parents do it with success it will work better as he gets older, if he comes out of time out ,no yelling ,no words quietly take him back then walk away,he can only hit you in the face or head if you are near to him, when he starts it firmly and quietly say No! then put him in time out, a chair in a corner of the room or something similar..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.