Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

sons lips frequently turn blue?

I was wonder if someone could advise me on my son, He's 16months old now and apart from being a handful is usually well except his lips (nowhere else) turn blue from time to time and I'm getting concerned as it is happening more frequently now! it does happen when he is cold but I've also noticed it at other times.I also have a 5 year old but his lips never turn blue ?
When he was 8 weeks he was admitted to hospital with bronchiolitis and at the doctor who examined him found a murmur? but said it was nothing to be concerned about and needed no further tests.
Should i now be worried?
Please reply as i'm unsure what to do.
Turning blue usually means that blood circulation is not that great.  I'd have his little heart checked out again.  Good luck!
Blue lips can be a warning sign of many things, such as heart problem, anemia, lack of oxygen. I would definitely get him to the pediatrician.
I agree, I would get this checked out.  My nephew is in PICU for Bronchiolitis (2wks now) and when he was having trouble breathing his lips were blue.  It is a lack of oxygen.  Even if he does not have immediate problems breathing, he may in the future.  Better safe than sorry!
You mentioned the bronchitis - does he often have breathing concerns that maybe get diagnosed as a cold, etc.?  This happened to my daughter, and when she was sleeping, she would make a weezing sound.  After many trips to the ER just to be told it's nothing, I finally found a doctor that would help.  My daughter was diagnosed with Hyperactive Airway Trap Disease.  This is like another way of saying asthma, but I think they were reluctant to say asthma because for her age, there was not definitive way to test her for it.  She was on breathing treatments every day for the first two years of her life and is fine now.  The blue lips never came back either.
i have heard that is very serious...i wouldnt take a chance and call your pediatrician immediately! good luck!
My daughter is 14 months and this just started happening to her. People keep asking if she was cold, but we were indoors in the heat. Its very random and I cant pinpoint a trigger. I took her to the pediatrician and he had a chest x-ray done and also some bloodwork to test her methaglobin (SP?). We are waiting for results. My husband was born with a heart defect, so Im worried! Have you found anything out about your son?
Have you heard the results of your daughter's tests?  We are having the same thing with our 14 month old daughter.  She had an echocardiogram just yesterday.  No blood work yet. . .would be very interested to hear about your results.
We are having the same problem with our 17 month old as well. I would love to hear what your out come is. We go on Thursday for our first apt.  I hate the unknown, the sitting back woundering if it's something or nothing at all.
The first time it happen he had a fever. I told my doctor and she told it was noting not to worry.  Now it's been happening just about every day.  The thing that is strange to me is he acts fine while it is happening.
Please let me know what happens.
if that was my daughter, id be going to emergency dept now. dont wait...

its not normal, it has to be looked into.. cold or not is irrellivant.
Hello Im having the same problem also. My daycare called one day and said my 18mont olds lips turned blue, hands and feet were cold. It lasted about 10 mins and then it cleared with them putting more clothes on him. Made a doc apt for the next day and they said to put more clothes on him. SO I DID!!  Next day it was over 20 mins till it cleared and I took him to the ER. They looked at me like I was crazy because he was himself running around having a good time. They did all the bloodwork and and EKG. They couldnt find anything. Its very scarey. He went outside for 10 mins the other day and it was cold out. His lips turned blue and I ended up putting fleece hoodie on him on top of his long sleeve onsie and a long shirt too. I still dont understand how they would still turn blue in a warm room that just doesnt make any sense. He has a doc apt Tuesday and Im going to keep on with the docs that Im not comfortable with "just putting more clothes on him"!!
It's weird that I am reading so many people having this problem with their children. I am of course in the same boat as many of you. I come from a pretty healthy family background with so strange health issues for me or my wife. But a few weeks a go, my wife noticed that our son was turning blue in the morning (his lips, nail beds, hands, etc). At one point he was very sick with a temp, diarrhea, etc. Also note that my child is just over one and has allergies and is on Pulmicort and Xeopenex. Anyways, we took him to Toledo Children's Hospital, where he stayed overnight and they ran many blood tests (twice), x-rays on his heart, ecogram, the whole nine yards. The next day he looked and "sounded" better and was given a clean bill of health. Heart was in fantastic condition, etc. No weird blood signs, nothing. Now, today, my wife called me at work and told me that my 1 year old is/was turning blue again. Although this time, she said he was very happy, playing, etc, just like any other day. So now we are stumped. We know his heart is ok and we know his blood is fine. So now what is it? Mold? Carbon Monoxide? We are stumped.
I just came from the pediatrician for the same thing! She said to make sure the blue isn't in the mouth ( tongue etc.) call back and we'll do blood work & an EKG. My daughter is 16 months and this has been happening for months I guess the doc was actually listening when I talked this time. My daughter is the same as many playing and acting normal when I notice the blue, usually seems to be in the morning. I thought of mold too, I think we're all just looking for an answer.
Well, he was slightly blue this morning in the lips and on his hands a bit. My wife ran him to his doctor so she could take a look at it. She is sending us to a blood specialist and we will go from there. She is could be a lack of Vitamin C? Doesn't make sense, but .... we will see. I will keep you all posted with what happens in the next week or so.
My sons did that for a brief time I had him tested for everything he was admitted into the hospital while they tested nothing it's been almost 4 years but you should have the children checked because it can mean "blue baby syndrome" which is really dangerous and other things as well.  Good luck

wow, its so unreal that sooo many people are having this problem with there kids, my son who was born 12 weeks premature, 1 and a half pounds never had anything like this, but my daughter who was born full term is. shes 22 months old and has been having this problem since april... we are just waiting for the pediatrician to call us with an appointment so she can have some tests done, her lips will turn blue even if its really hot. its so random
My sons lips turn blue when he wakes up, first thing in the morning.   Its NOT daily, its a random times, and has occurred roughly about 7-10 times that i can recall.   Just wondering if anyone found anything out after blood tests, and heart tests.  I'm nervous now.....    He had issues when he was born where he didn't have enough oxygen and had to go under the "tank"  thing for 24 + hours, so i'm just wondering if that has anything to do with it.     He woke up this morning with REALLY blue lips, and they were frozen to the touch.   And usually in the past its gone away within 15 minutes or so, but today, it took over about 40 minutes.  
We just adopted an 18 month old girl.  She has been with us only 2 days now.  This morning when I went to wash her face after breakfast, I noticed her lips were purple.  I called my husband in and they were purple/blue.  Her hands and feet were also very cold, although our other daughter, myself and husband were not cold.  After about 10 minutes, her lips went back to their normal colour.  I have noticed she is sensitive to cold after a bath etc.  Should I be concerned?  
Same thing is happening to my daughter... 18 mos. Her lips become bluish in color, it has happend 2-3 times within the past 2 months. She has no sign of distress and is acting totally normal. I took her to the DR last month because of it. At the time she was taking Zyrtec for a cold. DR checked her breathing and oxygen level, said all was fine & said the bluish lips were a side effect from the zyrtec. We stopped giving the zyrtec over a month ago....but it has happed again today. I have a call in to her Dr today, waiting to hear back
We went to Dr today, we have been referred to pediatric cardiologist, we have an appt for Jan 23. Hope to get some sort of explaination.
Im absolutly amazed at how many other parents are going thru the same thing. My 12m old started this last week on his birthday. he woke up & his lips were blue but he was happy, playing, talking..etc & I was in panic but it cleared up withing 10-20 min. it has happened 5 times at ramdom since with in the past 2 weeks. I took him & they checked his o2 & they told me not to think anything of it. she agreed to send me to a cardiologist next week for an echo. I work for anesthesiaologist & they were freaking out about having him seen & then they tell me not to think anything of it.  I would love to hear about someothers results.
My daughter is 22 months and her lips have been occasionally turning blue as well, It seems to corelate when she is cold I could be wrong.  It has been happening about 1-2x a week for the past few months.  She is going for a Eco soon.  She has occasional sweats at night as well, where her hair is very wet.  I am very worried.  My naturopathic doctor seems to think it has something to do with her pituatary gland being taxed from growth spurts and gave me some pills.  I wonder if he is right, it seems like everyone on here child ages in the 12month -2 or so age where growth spurts at there greatest???
My daughter, who is 16 months, just had an episode today right after her nap where her lips were blue and so were her nails and toes.  She's been running a fever of 102 since last night and she has a runny nose.  We called our pediatrician immediately and his first inclination was that it may be the well water that we have.  We live in a somewhat rural area so we have our own well.  I didn't much care for that answer, I'm not sure how well water would make my daughter's lips, fingers, and toes blue so we took her to the E.R.  After a few tests, including a test for a Urinary Tract Infection, the doctor decided that she was just "shunting" her blood to her core away from her extremities, which is what caused her to turn blue.  I asked about a potential heart issue, but he said he didn't hear a murmur so there was nothing to be concerned about.  Also, he said that "most" babies who have heart issues are born with them, they do not just develop.  I'm still not comfortable with this diagnosis.  I'm not sure what I want to hear, but it just seems there has to be more to it.  After reading everyone's entries, I think my worries may be confirmed.  PLEASE, if anyone else has any follow ups with their children, ANY answers, post them.  I promise to do the same!
Grandson 17 mos old, same thing for last 4-6 months.  Took him to doc 10 days ago, chest x-ray, no conclusive results, said he was crying too much for good test.  ekg, no results yet.  Reading here this is very common.  Can't understand why no docs have heard of it before.  If just these posts here think of how many others out there. Seems to follow in 12-24 mon olds.  Surely there are answers.  Please anyone who got results above reply back as to test outcomes.