Parenting Young Adults (18-26) Community
93 Members

What were the symptoms and signs of your child's skin rash?

Chickenpox (Varicella)A virus called varicella-zoster (VZV) causes this very contagious disease. The disease is generally not associated with major complications for most children. The symptoms generally last two weeks and can make the child moderately uncomfortable. Chickenpox can be a serious illness in people with weak immune systems such as newborns, people on chemotherapy for cancer, people taking steroids, pregnant women, or those with HIV/AIDS. A safe and effective vaccine is now available for children aged 1 year or older to prevent chickenpox. The symptoms of chickenpox generally appear 10-21 days after exposure. Transmission of VZV is via respiratory droplets or direct contact with the skin lesions during the blister stage.Symptoms and signsThe earliest symptoms of chickenpox are fever, sore throat, and feeling tired. This is followed, usually within a day, by the appearance of the classic, intensely itchy rash that typically begins on the head and torso and then spreads outward to the arms and legs. The total duration of the rash is seven to 10 days.The rash begins as an area of redness with a small, superficial blister in the center. After one to two days, the blister ruptures and the lesion will form a crusty scab that will fall off in two to three days. This entire evolution takes four to five days.Children with chickenpox will have new outbreaks of the initial lesions as older crusted lesions are resolving. They characteristically will have both new and older lesions present at the same time.Measles ("Regular" or "Hard" Measles)A paramyxovirus causes measles. A safe and effective vaccine is available to prevent this disease, but outbreaks in people who have not been fully vaccinated still occur.Symptoms and signsInitial symptoms generally appear 10-12 days after exposure to this highly contagious virus. Respiratory droplet inhalation is the mode of transmission. The rash is not contagious.The disease usually begins with nasal congestion and cough, eye redness without discharge, and moderate fever (102 F-103 F).The child will generally look sick, with decreased appetite and activity level.On the third or fourth day of the illness, a higher fever (104 F-105 F) develops and the child will develop a purplish red rash on the face, along the hairline, and behind the ears. The rash then spreads down the body to the thighs and feet. After approximately a week, the rash fades in the same pattern as it developed.Rubella (German Measles or "Three-Day Measles")Rubella is a much milder disease than "regular" measles and is also caused by a virus (rubivirus).Symptoms and signsRubella is purely a disease of humans and is spread by virus in nasal and oral secretions. The rash is not contagious.Following an incubation period of 14-21 days after viral exposure, the infected child will develop a pink or light red rash on the face that then spreads to the body. The rash does seem to itch to a mild degree. Other symptoms, which improve in three days, include low-grade temperature (100 F), headache, mild joint pains, conjunctivitis without discharge, and swollen lymph nodes in the neck and especially behind the ears.Generally children do not appear to be very ill especially when compared to those suffering from "regular" measles.Rubella can be very serious to an unborn child if the mother develops rubella early in her pregnancy. All women of childbearing age should have their immune status verified. Complications include congenital rubella syndrome. Congenital rubella syndrome occurs when intrauterine infection occurs during the first trimester. Complications involving the brain, heart, vision, hearing, and liver of the infant may be life threatening.Fifth DiseaseFifth disease, also known as erythema infectiosum or "slapped cheeks" disease, is caused by a virus (parvovirus B19). This infection tends to occur more commonly in the winter and spring but can occur year-round. Infection tends to occur after an incubation period of four to 14 days.Symptoms and signsParvovirus B19 infection is strictly human to human in nature. While there are animal parvovirus infections, these do not affect humans. Most people with a parvovirus B19 infection will have no symptoms. Only one in four will develop fifth disease. The vast majority of infections occur during childhood, and infection conveys lifelong immunity.Fifth disease often starts as a cold -- nasal congestion with slight cough, headache, mild sore throat, and low-grade fever. The rash only appears immediately after the symptoms of the viral illness are over and the child is no longer contagious.The earliest specific sign of the disease is often bright red cheeks, inspiring the name "slapped cheeks disease."After one to two days, as the slapped-cheek appearance fades, a lacy, red rash spreads throughout the body and is most commonly found on the arms. The rash appears to fade when the skin is cool, but with a warm bath or with activity, the rash becomes more pronounced.Occasionally the child may have sore joints with the rash. Adults who contract parvovirus B-19 infection are more likely to report soreness of the joints of the hands, knees, and elbows.Once the rash appears, the child is no longer contagious. However, people with fifth disease who have weakened immune systems may be contagious for a longer amount of time.Roseola InfantumRoseola is also called exanthem subitum and is a common childhood illness caused most commonly by human herpes virus 6 (HHV-6). Human herpes virus 7 (HHV-7) is less commonly the cause of this disease. A great majority of individuals who contract this disease are children between 6 months and 2 years of age. There is no seasonal variation.Symptoms and signsThe classic symptom sequence of roseola is that of an abrupt onset of a high, spiking fever for two to five days without other significant respiratory or intestinal symptoms. The fever breaks and is quickly followed by the onset of a rash.The rash consists of small, pink, flat, or slightly raised lesions that appear on the trunk and spread to the extremities.The rash is not bothersome and resolves quickly, usually only lasting one to two days. The rash is not contagious or bothersome.Coxsackieviruses and Other EnterovirusesThe enteroviruses, including the coxsackieviruses, are a very common cause of fever and rash in children. Two common diseases caused by coxsackieviruses are hand foot and mouth disease and herpangina. Coxsackievirus infections are more common in the summer and autumn. All childhood age ranges are susceptible.Symptoms and signsIn hand, foot and mouth disease, children develop a moderate fever for one or two days and then a characteristic rash. The rash includes tender blisters in the mouth and tongue as well as on the palms and soles of the hands and the feet. Less commonly, it may also involve the lower legs, the buttocks, or the genital area. Young children have a general feeling of being ill (malaise) and are often cranky with a depressed appetite. The incubation period following exposure is five days.Herpangina causes a fever, headache, sore throat, and painful blisters or ulcers in the back of the mouth. It typically occurs during the summer months and is most commonly seen in children between 3-10 years of age. A diminished appetite is common as a consequence of mouth pain. The incubation period is seven days.
My son is one year old. He started with small abscess in his stomach and doctor treated him with anti-bacterial ointment. It didn't get better and later he diagnosed him as impetigo and put him under treatment. It also didn't work, so a week later he prescribed amoxicillin with not much progress. My son has lots of rashes all over his body and face and I am really worried.
my child has a red rash on his hands, legs and genital area he is 14 months old
My son is 6 and has fever with rashes that started on his arms and chest. After 8 hours, the rashes spread to his torso, sides, and his face is extremely flushed. His lips are red and quite swollen. His eyes are puffy. The rashes have spared his palms and soles. He is still eating well so I don't think he has a throat infection. Thanks for the help...
my son of nearly two developed an area of raised spots only on his left thigh, after a couple of weeks he bagan toget them on hischeeck, chin, neck, back, and now chest and elbows!!! it has been almost a month now, and the doctor said it was just a heat rash. Heat rashes dont have tiny red heads, some white, and it doesn't last this long. I think it's getting worse. He has no other symptoms, i.e frver, and is totally himself, except he has startedto itch in the night. Somebody please help. I am very worried!!! :(
my child has a bright red mark on both of his cheeks near his anus
My 2 year old has a cluster of red raised bumps, a little bigger than pin head in size, on her one butt cheek. The cluster has few bumps scattered away from the dense area which seemed to have spread broader in 2 days. After the next day the bumps scar because I think she scratches it. Only complains it burns 'itches' at night after a bath.
around ankles and wrists spreading to legs
Eczema in children is montelukast useful or not
small bumps no fever, seems fine
reddish around the neck and on her forehead and cheeks
my baby is 9 months old,she has developed rash some few weeks after birth even today she stil has it around her neck and cheeks,,i have taken her to clinics but no improvement,,matters worse she doesnt do well with some medicines, she votes after taking them,,,pls help,,some say it must be the fomula /milk that she drinks,,she drinks NAN 1&2.How true is dat.
the rash is on each leg left an right thigh
My son has bumps all over his sides and chest. They weren't red or itchy and he had no pain or sign of discomfort.
My two year old daughter woke up this morning with a rash on her chest. After a bath tonight it has raised and spread down her arm. I am not worried as she appears fine within herself.
face sightly swollen rash fine rash   from head to toe evenin hair
My three-year-old showed signs of developing a rash this am. She was scratching constantly on her back as the day progressed I could see a red raised rash forming and moving around to her abdomen and chest. Yesterday we went on a school trip and she was given a school shirt to wear onsite. On the school trip she was bitten by ants 5 times on her right ankle. She also received a flu vaccine about a week ago.
my 4 year old daughter started itching on her feet last week.Now she got all over the body.doctor said its like virus.when it will cure.what virus.she is having heatballs like in her hands, fingers, feet,  knees.
My son has a rash on the back of his legs that will dry however flair back up. No other symtoms besides being ichy when it flairs.
small blister on skin and they hurt to touth
the rashes which appear on m little girl of about 16 months look similiar to heat rash but are a little bigger and are water filled. they pop out at the area behind her knees, ie inbetween her bach thighs and back legs and some places around her face spots on her tummy and around her back too, they irritate her alot, what could it be
My 9 year old granddaughter began having a very small red rash under her right nostril many, many months ago. It has now recently spread under the rest of the nose and then some. I have been reluctant to apply any creams but now would like some advice before a trip to the doctor.   Thank You!
Patches of task face and chest turning into blisters
Extremely itchy rash on head, face, arms and legs. The itch is terrible at night. The appearance of the rash is like insect bites, but the house has recently been fumigated and there are no signs of bed bugs or insects in the home. The rash has been on for two weeks now. Please help!
My 10 year old boy has skin tags they go red and end up like blisters they have a large bright red like burn area around them, I was given antibiotic cream for them but they seem to sting really bad and get ichy.  P