enlarged inferior vena cava

My son is 14, CT scan found an enlarged inferior vena cava.  He is 5'8 at 148 lbs.  It is stated to be twice the size of an overweight grown man.  Can this be repaired?  Is it life threatening?  Please return to me as much information you may have about this. Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
What has your pediatric cardiologist say. I can tell you that about 95% of children with heart disease can be helped either surgically or with medications and go on to live perfectly healthy lives. Only 5% have no treatments short of transplant. I would say that odds are in your favor.
Helpful - 0
The cardiologist didnt say anything about it being a heart disease.  He just ran an ekg and stated that my son's heart was functioning normal and this enlargement is normal for a child who has had several surgeries.  Are you seriously telling me that my son has a heart disease? What steps do i need to take now.  what tests need to be ran.
Helpful - 0
I also found that it is also considered a type of anuerysm. could this also be true.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pediatric Cardiology Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments