Pediatric Endocrinology Forum

Cyst and Kidney Stones

My 15 year old has been complaining of pain and discharge between periods.  She had a CT scan recently that showed stones in both kidneys and a 4 x 4 cm cyst on her right ovary.  The doctor put her on the Yaz birth control pills, she is still having discharge and some breakthrough bleeding.  She will have an ultrasound after her next period.  The CT suggests this is a follicular cyst and to follow with an ultrasound to see if it resolves on it's own.  How good are CT scans at showing what type of cyst she has??  Thank you!
She has a large cyst that can be isolated and resolve but needs monitoring, with irregular menses she is now being treated with an oral contraceptive that has a good effect on irregular hormonal balance. Give it a few months to reassess by ultrasound unless she is still having pain at which time she needs immediate help.
She should be seeing an obgyn who is comfortable with metabolic syndrome and adolescents.
Or she can see an endocrinologist.
CT scan is helpful in assessing for calcifications and suspicious masses but no imaging study is fully diagnostic of cancer rather this would be a biopsy-which she does not need.
Work with her obgyn or her pediatrician and see if she needs an endocrinolgist to evaluate her other hormones to see if she is having signs of metabolic syndrome, often termed under the broad title in girls as "polycystic ovarian syndrome"
Those women with family history of type 2 diabetes, those that are overweight and have insulin resistance, hypertension are at risk
kidney stones need assessed by a nephrologist and also sometimes may be a calcium disorder and endocrinologists see this as well. I don't think the two are related though
Thank you for your quick response.  I am working with her pediatrician, she was the doctor that requested the CT scan of her ab/pelvis and placed her on the birth control pill.  She has not recommended we see a gyn, until after we try the birth control pills and have the ultrasound.  So you feel we are following the right course?  The pediatrician does not seem at all concerned about the kidney stones.  I want what is best and safest for my daughter.  I value your opinion on this matter.  Thank you.
kidney stones need worked up, there may be a calcium metabolism disorder, this needs assessed and treated to prevent any complications. Nephrology is the best source. At least your pediatrician can call the ped nephrologist to get workup info that she can do herself.
I'll question the pediatrician about seeing the ped nephrologist like you suggest.  Thank you so much for your help!  Right now the pediatrician has just recommended drinking lot's of water and hoping that the kidneys will flush out any stones.  My daughter did pass a sand like substance which the pediatrician said was the stones.  But she has not ordered any tests to check her kidneys again.  And we didn't collect any of the substance for testing, due to the fact this happened while my daughter was at school.  Again, thank you for your input.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments