Pediatric Endocrinology Forum

PUbic Hair in 8 month old girl

I just noticed my daughter has very light hair on the labia majora. She is a big baby, 98th percentile height and weight, breastfeed and just started solids, I (the mom) am on synthroid 25 mcg. Because of my thyroid condition and her weight gaining her thryroid has been tested and it came back normal (when she was 6 months old). I am really concerned that this is serious. Will the hair just fall off eventually or she will need special treatment and screenings? I made an appointment with her pediatrician, but I would like to educate myself first.
Thanks for any information you can provide.
Pubic hair in an infant can be due to the adrenal hormones surging or it can be due to a metabolic problem, fortunately most states in the US have a newborn screen test that screens for the metabolic problem called congenital adrenal hyperplasia. But that being said I would recommend that any newborn or infant or child under age 8 be evaluated for early pubic hair, in your child's case a pediatric endocrinologist just to be sure all is good.
She sounds well in everyway, lets hope it is just body hair and her hormones are all quiet.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments