Hello! I will be setting up an appointment to come to CHOP as soon as my daughter's medical records arrive there, which should be anytime this week. At 6 months, she was diagnosed with a 4mm ASD. 3.5 years later, we were at her 4-year check up (echo) and found that the ASD had closed, but some type of arch anomaly was suspected and a murmur was still present.
A few weeks ago, she had an MRI and MRA and a double aortic arch was found. The left arch was atretic and created a vascular ring with tracheal narrowing. The right transverse arch was severely hypoplastic. So a cath was recommended to measure pressures and this was done last Wednesday. The cath confirmed a CoA of the aorta. The hypoplastic segment of the right arch was 4.5 mm in diameter, whereas the lower portion of her aorta was 11 mm. Her pressure gradient was 30 mm HG (sedated). Aside from stridor, she has had no obvious symptoms of these defects, so we're still reeling a bit - though her blood pressure at her cardiologist's office was 123/75 for her 4 year check AND her 3 year check. It was always normal at her pediatrician's office, but in hindsight, it may have been taken from her left arm, not her right.
So - it's very difficult to find any information about CoA of the right arch and I can find NO information about the double arch and the CoA together. My daughter is extremely active (read: hyper). Until we can get our second opinion appt. set up at CHOP - are there any activity limitations or restrictions that we should be aware of? Dietary restrictions (i.e. no sodium, etc)? I'm presuming since she has done well thus far, we are not looking at an emergency situation (this has not been mentioned by her treating cardiologists), but do we need to be on alert for anything?
It will be near impossible to find any information about coarctation of a right aortic arch or double aortic arch plus right arch coarctation. However, unlike adolescents and young adults, the good thing is that children are quite good at self-limiting their activities. If it feels uncomfortable, they'll stop. Although I cannot say for sure what needs to be done without more information, I would say that there are no specific restrictions, precautions, or dietary issues that need to be done at this point. Unless there are other specific cardiac problems that have not been diagnosed in her, she should be fine to await her second opinion.
Copyright 1994-2018MedHelp.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Vitals Consumer Services, LLC.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. MedHelp is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.