Pediatric Heart Forum

Heart murmur

I recently took my 5 year old daughter to a kidney specialist due to the fact her normal urologist referred her. She has a multi cystic dysplastic kidney. Everything was fine in that area. He informed me that she had a heart murmur, which i know can be fine and go away, but he said it sounded like one that needed checked; that bsically it did not sound harmless. She is really healthy, gains weight fine, no shortness of breath, no blue lips...no symptoms at all; could a heart defect just happen or would this have been from birth because no other doctor but one, when she was sick, has said anything about a heart murmur. Can doctors be wrong about what kind of murmur they hear?  I am scared and concerned. Please help!
Dear Danielle,

A heart murmur is a sound associated with turbulent blood flow in the heart.  That turbulence can be normal or abnormal.  Certainly, it is common to have normal/innocent heart murmurs be a bit more worrisome sounding to primary care providers, and they can easily be wrong.  However, I will also say that patients who have multicystic dysplastic kidneys are also at greater risk for congenital cardiac defects.  That said, your daughter is 5 years old, which means that the likelihood of a truly serious problem is low.  I do think that in her case, even without seeing her, that having a pediatric cardiologist evaluate her to ensure that there is no structural cardiac defects would be important.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments