Pediatrics Community

3 year old with leg pain

My daughter has been complaining of leg pain on and off for about two weeks now.  Yesterday it brought her to tears and again today.  Everytime I ask her where it hurts, she points to either her thigh, knee or calf area.  The pain is intermittent, no swelling that I can see, no fall that I remember.  No other symptoms.  My first initial thought was growing pains, but wouldn't it be in both legs?  And would it bring her to tears?  Also, I thought growing pains were suppose to happen mainly at night.  I was researching on-line and found osteomyelitis.  She did have a severe ear infection about a month ago in which the dr told me she has a blister in her ear it was so bad...could this turn into osteomyelitis?  Any suggestions?
I hope you get a response.  I also have a 3 yr old daughter who will complain of knee pain. It was only happening at night time when she was extremely tired or if it woke her up in the night it was on a night when she went to bed really late.  So we try very hard to keep her schedule regular to avoid this, but it's been happening more frequently lately.  Just this morning she complained of it in the morning which included her foot.  My email is pitche_jones***@****.  Thanks :)
Hi i also have a three year old boy who cries almost every other night because one of his legs hurt. Hes had this for almost six months were he will just wake up crying and telling me it hurt he wants me to massage his whole leg.  his cry is getting worst, hes trying to sleep but he cant and he moves around a lot when his leg hurts he rubs them against the covers and bed.  The doctor told me its because he is growing but i also wonder.  only in one leg? its like i have to give him medicine everytime.  
Wow! This seems to be a occuring problem with 3 year olds.  My son who turned 3 in January has been complaining since June 08'.  He had getxrays in both legs; normal.  Doctor now wants to get blood tests to check for cystic fibrosis.  My son cries in the night, the pain wakes him ; through the day he runs and moves around like nothing.  Well, hopefully results come back normal.

veronica
my just turned 4yr old has complained about his legs for about six months now, his les do go in alittle and he trips over his feet all the time. the Dr's didn't even run test yet said he would out grow it but it's been over a year and nothing but it's getttin worst, thats when he started to complain about pain. i just don't know what to do any more.
My daughter will be turning 3 in November and has been complaining of right knee pain for about 6 months now... only at night.  The doctors first thought it was just growing pains, but because it is always in the one knee they decided to do bloodwork today.  Nothing worse then waiting for test results on your child.  Hopefully we will know more by Tuesday.
my daughter is 7 years old and has leg pain on the underside of her knee,it usualliy happens on one leg.she, had it probably since she was 3 or 4 also.doctor told me it was probably growing pains and if its not constant not to worry about it.thats kind of hard to do when she still has it and wakes up crying.i'm going to take her back to a different doctor and see what he says.
My now 6 yr. old daughter has been complaining about her legs since she could talk. its beena long 6 yrs. the pain brings on severe pain and she crys uncontroably for about 10-15 min. I bring out the heating pad and then lay beside her almost 3 times a week. Weve had blood tests done, nothing... I just don't know what to do. After 6 years of complaining I wish I could tell her why its hurting. I hate to see her in tears so much.
My daughter is 4 now but she's been complaining about pain in her knee for 6 months now....only at night. I told her doctor about it and she told me it was because she was growing but im worried cause she crys everytime she gets those pains.....she hasn't got any tests....the doctor says to give her motrin for the pain. What can this actually be????
I also have a 3 yr old who complained of leg pain.  His mostly occured with a lot of walking.  We happened to be looking for soccer shoes one day and he put his feet on a heat sensor pad thing and the guy at the store said he had flat feet.  We took him to the Podiatrist who confirmed it.  Fit him with custom inserts for his shoes and now he is pain free!
as a child i use to suffer with leg pain in my shins, i was told that these were growing pains.
My four year old son has been complaining of leg pain for about four months now. We at first thought it was growing pains since thats what his brother had and it went away then we thought well maybe he just wants attention so his daddy can carry him. We he began to cry about his leg hurting during play time and times where daddy wasn't around to hold him my husband and I thought well maybe it could be serious or there really is something wrong. Took him to the doctor..he happen to have a small scratch on his leg from falling off his new birthday bike a few days before the doctor appointment and it's always so nice how the PA's want to question abuse like how did he get this then look at the parents..Anyhow she ordered an X-Ray which came back with nothing...I was told to come back in a couple of weeks if it continued which it did so I went back...not I have a MRI on Monday and some blood work to make sure it's nothing more...I am just praying it is not...a sign of leg pain I heard could be leukemia.
Ask your doctor if it could be this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_synovitis

My daughter has it.