MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Can A Male Five-year Old Infant Get Hernia?

My grandson, who is five, is very active and robust and he likes to carry heavy objects like a big plastic container of his toy cars to show his maleness!
Is it possible for him to get hernias if he goes on doing such things?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello and welcome to the forum. We thank you for your question! Children can get hernias.  A hernia occurs when a part of the intestine pushes through a weakness in the belly (abdominal) muscles. A soft bulge shows up under the skin where the hernia is. A hernia in the groin area is called an inguinal hernia.  I wouldn't, however, worry about this unless you see the signs of it.  You would likely see a bulge or swelling in the groin area.  It's really not common in children. https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=inguinal-hernia-in-children-90-P03092  Lifting and carrying things is not a dangerous activity for children.  Speak to your grandchild's pediatrician to confirm.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pediatrics Community