Pediatrics Community

Fatal Pulmonary Hemorrhage and Erythroblastosis in One Fraternal Twin

I have been trying to solve this mystery about my twin brother's death. We were fraternal twins, not identical twins. Yet he died about two hours after birth from severe bilateral pulmonary hemorrhage. The death certification also said he had mild erythroblastosis. We both weighed about 6 pounds, 6 ounces, give or take a few ounces. I have heard of this combination in identical twins due to problems via the shared placenta, but fraternal twins, of course, are in separate placentas. What are the possible causes of my brother's condition that killed him?
It is probably because you and your twin did not share the same placenta that he died and you did not.

The pulmonary haemorrhaging is bleeding in the lungs.  
Briefly if the mother's body produces antigens that are not compatible with the baby then mother's antigens  see the baby as a foreign body.
If a mother has Rh-negative blood and her baby is Rh-positive then this is not compatible.
This condition can be detected during early pregnancy and a mother is usually given an injection so as her antibodies do not reject the baby.

The web link gives more accurate and detailed information with regard to erythroblastosis.

http://www.answers.com/topic/erythroblastosis-fetalis#ixzz2lslk6ehS