could this still be possible cancer?

my daughter aged 7 became very ill this time last year, her symptons were, fever,leg pain, swollen glands, tiredness, paleness. We had a blood count done which came back abnormal and she was admitted to hospital. Her white blood cell count was high, platelets low and her neutrophils very low. We were told by the doctors they suspected either leukemia,glandular fever or that her bone marrow wasnt working. She was put on iv antibiotics and an oncologist/heamatologist studied her bloods- said there were no leukemic cells there but that the only deffinate way to know would be bone marrow biopsy. The plan was a few days of antibiotics and a repeat blood count. The blood count came back better and we were discharged. We later got a diagnosis of EBV virus, her antibodies had tested positive for a past and a recent infection. We still had to go back once a month for a few months for repeat cbc which did eventually go back to normal. Since then my daughter has been diagnosed with early puberty too- she has to have some hormone tests next week and we are also scheduled for a mri scan.
What bringing me to this board now is she has been very ill for the past 3 -4 weeks agains, same symptons but with added mouth sores. She has had a weeks worth of antibiotics which cleared the mouth sores but the fever keeps returning. She is very pale and tired too and her tonsils are huge (which always have been since the ebv, but never infected) and she has very large swollen glands in her neck and a few smaller ones in her groin.We have been to see the doctor 4 times since ill, a virus was diagnosed and last week she also had a blood count as he was worried she might be neutropenic again- the results were normal.Is it normal for a virus to linger this long? I know theres some pretty nasty ones about this time of year. Could there be a conection between the precocious puberty and this? She has to have an mri scan because she also has headaches and her endocrinologist wants to rule our a tumour. But if this was the case and there was a tumour and its causing these symptons would it show on bloods? I am really worried at the moment :(
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Let us know the out come ..my kids and myself were all really well after they removed them ,I believe its a simple procedure now ..
Helpful - 0
thank u for that I never actually thought that the tonsils could be causing more problems. But in theory it makes much sense! She has a very sore throat today and ive been checking for more mouth sores but there none. Will mention this on friday to her doctor, thanks again
Helpful - 0
Then I would insist they look further at the tonsil problem , swollen can be very painful and the child suffers,in my opinion the swollen glands are part of this so pursue it, I know that nowadays they do not like to remove tonsils  and I am sure they have good reason ,I do know once they are removed the child's health really improves. but that's just my opinion,I was one of those children to have them removed at age 8 years old,  I also had three of my children who had them removed.... worth checking out ..
Helpful - 0
hi, thanks for your reply. We havnt an appointment yet for the mri, her consultant has reffered her for one. However we have been to see her consultant today after I telephoned her expressing my concerns. She had a very good all over check and she thinks shes pretty certain its a virus ontop of virus on top of infection thing :(. But has said if she deteriorates then we must take her to a&e. She confirmed tonsils very swollen but no infection. Her tonsils have been swollen now since the EBV virus and havnt gotten any smaller.She has also lost alot of weight since last visit (4 weeks ago) but that could be down to her not eating whilst being unwell.
Helpful - 0
I am sorry I absolutely understand you worry ..one thing came to me reading your post Tonsils ..tonsillitis can be really nasty and can cause the symptoms you describe  here you say they have shown to be swollen .I expect she has a bad sore throat aswell.There is no way of telling you anything about cancer but I can understand why it would come to mind, the further testing will find results for that if there are any .Not certain if tonsils have anything to do with the precocious puberty.The EBV would have made her feel unwell for a good part of this so you may have been dealing with a couple of different infections When is she due to have the mri ?.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pediatrics Community