my nephew is always sick please please help

My nephew is 5 months old and has had respirtory problems for about half of his little life. I am more than frustrated every time he is sent home w/o a rhyme or reason to the things that are happening to him. I am hoping maybe someone can help. Please take the time to read this and any input will be greatly appriciate:)
He was born full term and very healthy,he is gaining weight and growing just fine.
His first problem was when he was about 3 months old when his symptoms were a runny nose, chest congestion,low grade fever,my sister took him to the pediatrician and he prescribed Amoxicillin he took it for 10 days never did get better. Then he was at daycare had a coughing fit and stopped breathing for maybe 2 or 3  seconds. Was taken to the E.R. Done chest x-ray came back fine, oxygen level was normal. He was given a shot of antibiotic prescribed cough syrup was on it for 2 weeks never got better.
He was taken back to the pediatrician gave abuteral in liquid form. Still did'nt get better. Then another 2 or 3 weeks later was running another fever was taken to a different E.R. and they gave a shot of antibiotic and prescripiton of antibiotic was on it for 4 days. Started showing inprovement and was well on the road to recovery. Until last night he got another fever, rapid breathing, was taken to e.r. his heartrate was 219 per minute was transported to a childrens hospital by abulance got to the hospital and they levled everything out. They done x-rays on lungs and heart and could see congestion around his heart. They diagnosed it as the flu and sent him home!!  
That makes 3 different E.R. and two different pediatricians. None of them which have been of any help.
Sorry this post is so long just trying to maybe get some aswers. Thank-You for taking the time to read it me and my family appriciate it.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, i am sorry i don't really know anything medically relevant to your situation but i feel for you and your family. I simply wanted to tell you to keep seeing other doctors or bothering the ones already seen until someone takes the time to listen and actually try to figure out what is wrong with your nephew. My daughter kept breaking bones and had many things wrong with her and for 2 1/2 years i was told to go away by the doctors, they kept pushing antibiotics on her and telling me she was fine, as it turns out i finally complained enough and they ran all sorts of tests discovering she has Brittle Bone Disease. It took 2 1/2 years of my harassing these people until they finally did the tests to get me out of their faces. Please, for the sake of your nephew, push and complain and harass until they listen. For the record ER doctors are very rushed and much less likely to listen to you. Family doctors are much more likely to listen if you can give them exact details on everything. Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
The symptoms sound a little like what my daughter has.  My daughter has tracheomalacia/bronchiomalacia.  When your nephew breathes does he make a squeeky noise, especially when he's sleeping?  What trach/bronchiomalacia is is the cartilage that makes up the airway isn't as strong as it should be and it tightens up and the baby exhails, making the airway close.  That makes it hard for the baby to cough up any mucus that could be in there.  The condition itself wouldn't cause any fever but if he has a cold and can't cough up the mucus it could cause an infection.  We had my daughter in two different hospitals 7 times in two months.  She had a low grade fever, nasal congestion and a bad cough.  When she would get to coughing she would wheeze really bad and eventually stop breathing.  By the time we would get her to childrens hospital she would be back to normal, normal oxygen, normal chest xrays.  It is very frustrating.  Mention this to your doctor.  If he decides to check it out find a good pediatric pulmunologist and discuss a brochioscopy (where then take a camera down to see the airways. Its the only way to diagnosis this.)  The good news is, trachiomalacia and bronciomalacia are both usually outgrown between 18-24 months old.  My daughter is 8 months now, we have been going through this since about 3 months.  There is very little info on the internet about this.  And what is on here is pretty extreme.   The doctors told me that they usually only see it in babies who are born premature or have many other medical conditions, but my daughter is otherwise healthy and was full term.  Regardless, don't let the doctors silence your instincts.  If you know there is something wrong with your nephew, then make sure you tell them that.  Just remember, you're paying the doctors to find out whats wrong.  So, they work for you.  (or your sister in this situation.)  If you have any questions let me know, if I can help I will.
Helpful - 0
First of all children should never be put on cough meds. Have they tried him on Flovent and or ventilan?? Also have they checked him for RSV??? My daughter was born preemie and I am not stranger to breathing problems as a whole even just from my life and my friends and family. You should see if it is possibly RSV. Does he want to sleep lots? Does he have a discharge from his nose still? They will test it through his snot. Send it away and know within a day or so. Try that. Also ask about flovent or/and ventalin... Also does your nephew live in a house with pets or smokers??
Helpful - 0
Your story is one I have been living since my baby was 3 months. He is now 1 year old and was diagnosed with asthma and has been using the nebulizer since then. However, it is frustrating to me that he gets better for a week and we are then back to were we started once again. This week one doctor had only recommended a bronchioscopy for tachiomalacia. As the above mom discussed there is not much online to read about but at least getting the test done to rule it out can give you some insight. This is not to wory if this is the case becasue children's trachia hardens up and it goes away. I do agree children should not be put on cough meds and I am not sure why they would do that when they usually treat with albuteral or other nedulizing medications whether it is asthma or not. I feel your heartache for this and we are not alone I see. God Bless and good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pediatrics Community