Pediatrics Community

toddler with rash on rectum

my 3 yo nephew has a red rash with white blisters on his rectum.  my sister has been using cream that was prescribed, but the rash is not going away.  he has been itching it occasionally.  we always make sure he is cleaned well after a bowel movement.  he's had it for about a month.  just wondering if anyone has an idea what it is.  he'll be going to a dermatologist in a couple of weeks.
It could be a yeast infection.  In toddlers, both boys & girls can get them.  My 2 year old daughter gets them quite a bit.  I just use an over-the-counter anti-fungal cream (like Monistat) and it's gone in a couple of days.  Go to google.com/images and search for pictures of yeast infections in toddlers.  See if your nephew's rash looks anything like those in the pictures.  Good luck!!