Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
277 Members

Cystocele and rectocele

Hello all. I am new to the forum and I'm just needing more of an understanding. Especially since I'm not getting it from my doctor. I had the surgery for prolapse called cystocele and rectocele. (let's you know what actually prolapsed.) I was in shock to learn that someone my age would have this (50) in which I still consider myself young. However, I had no idea that the body could actually do this. I had realized that something was obviously wrong when I felt a bulge between my legs, went to the doctor and she told me what is was. Well, I had the surgeries done, I currently have the bladder sling and the mesh put in and yet 6 years later, I'm prolapsing again. How is this even possible with the sling and mesh in place. I'm totally confused and angry that I have to have the surgery all over again. Please help!
I have read that prolapse surgery has a fairly high failure rate. According to this article https://www.news-medical.net/news/20130517/Long-term-success-rates-of-surgery-to-treat-pelvic-organ-prolapse-are-lower-than-expected.aspx a third of women experienced prolapse within five years of their prolapse repair surgery.

I understand your concerns with undergoing another surgery. Plus there have been a lot of problems with vaginal mesh. Have you thought about getting fitted for a pessary to hold things in place?
Do you know what is prolapsing? Is it your bladder or have the other organs prolapsed? Did you have pelvic floor physical therapy after surgery? You might ask about that! I think that would help with repairs in the long run. I am 4 years post repairs for cystocele, rectocele and uterine prolapse. I still do my PT exercises!! Good luck!!