Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
277 Members

Cystocele and workingout at the gym

I have been diagnosed wt CYSTOCELE after noticing that there was a problem doing situps and various activities at the gym.  My main concern is...  how much will my 5 x a week workouts affect my condition ?  I have 40 lbs to lose still, can I continue, will it worsen and shouls I get some sort of repair done now ?  I am 50 and have not experienced no other side effects.
You can continue to exercise but when you have POP it is extremely important that you do it the right way so your prolapse concerns don't get worse. It would also be a good idea to get fitted for a pessary or use an Incostress (send me a PM if you need more info on this) for internal support while exercising when you have POP of any type; this will provide internal support for your pelvic organs.

If you are doing floor exercise or machines, it is important to pay attention to what sensations you feel in your vagina and pelvic floor area; if you feel any outward pushing of tissues in your vaginal canal you need to either adjust how you are exercising or stop doing it. Situps are a tricky dance with POP, I would suggest you keep your legs in a "crunched up toward your waist" position when coming forward with your upper body (instead of leaving your legs on the floor), it will help prevent your tissues from pushing out. You can also hold your legs straight up in the air and try to touch your toes or sides of ankles to work upper abs or try a scissor ab exerxise (R knee + L elbow).

It would be of great benefit to try pilates or Pfilates, these core strengthening exercise programs are helpful for POP. Swimming is great too. If you run or do aerobics, you truly should have a pessary or Incostress in place or it can really create problems with POP.

I am glad you recognize that you need to adjust something in your regimen, I am a huge exercise fanatic and am glad to hear you want to continue; it is vital however that you take the proper precautions to prevent your POP from getting worse. Also please read the article in the Health Pages (upper right side of this page) about Kegels and Kegel Breathing, this is an additional tool you can use to maintain pc muscle strength.

Good luck, keep up the good work!
Sher
Sorry to pop into this thread.

When working with a Trainer and using a Bender Ball for ab workouts is when I found out BIG time there was more than just a bit of leakage when laughing, coughing, etc.  Those specific exercises caused a scenario that required more than a light pad.  Oh my, how embarrassing the first time or two it occurred too!  Didn't give up those exercises but work something more capable.  Btw, legs were with bent knee in a "crunched" position.  

Thankfully, nothing seemed to be otherwise occurring...that I could tell at least.

I'm so glad to hear another was affected...I don't feel it was me only.  ;)
All comments and suggestions always appreciated!!!!! The more we share the more we learn!
Thanks Sher.  At least I don't have to hear that Trainer say any more, oh well that's your age...work on it more.  Grrrr
Ya, whenever women tell me a health care practioner says something so ridiculous, it makes the hair on my head stand straight out! The good thing is comments like that fire my engines to make me work even harder toward our goals!
Hey Sherrie, thanks so much for the terrific info, I have been so busy working out, I am adapting my workouts around my Cystocele.  However it seems to be aggravating it more and more.  Is there a product out there that I can use while exercising ?  I seriously need to figure something out soon for it is beginning to interfere wt many of my activities... Any advice will be appreciated at this point.