Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Ruling out aneurysms in my children

My father died at 40 due to 2 ruptured brain aneurysms. My paternal grandfather died of abdominal aneurysm. Myhusband's father died of a ruptued abdominal aneurysm. Therefore our children have significant history in both their parents. They are now young adults. Should they be screened and if so by what specialists and which procedure?
1 Responses
469720 tn?1388146349
In general familial predisposition for the development of abdominal aneurysms tends to run on the male side of families. Ultrasound is the ideal screening test to evaluate for the existance of an asymptomatic aneurysm and should be done once your children especially males reach the age of 50. The test can be ordered by their primary care physician. If an aneurysm was found--they would be referred to a specialist to monitor or treat the aneurysm.

Additionally your husban shuld be screened and your brothers should be evaluated also.

Best of health
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.