Peripheral Artery Disease Community
34 Members

PAD Question

My Mom was recently diagnosed with PAD. She's 67 and was always up until a year ago but would always experience pain in her legs, seemed worse during the months of Jan/Feb. Doctors didn't know what it was. The pain subsided and now her legs just feel like dead weight, has to take a cell phone with her when she walks her dog as she isn't sure she'll be able to make it home.
She lives in Yellowknife, NWT Canada and had seen doctors there for a couple of years and they were clueless. Finally she was sent out multiple times to Alberta and the diagnosis was made and she requires surgery.
Does anyone in Canada know generally what the wait period for such a surgery is? I'm pretty upset with the whole situation as it seems to me, and god knows I may be wrong, but being a first aid attendant I would have thought the doctors would have compared the tibial or dorsal pulses of each leg to the radial or apical and if there was a difference you'd know there was a problem. They did this but it was like 2 months ago when it should have been done years earlier.
Any information on the wait times and surgery/recovery expectations would be appreciated. She's a non drinker and her weight is normal for her age. She was active up until this disease progressed to the point it has.

Thank you,
                                                              V.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But the prognosis depends on the extent of the peripheral block and other co morbid conditions like diabetes. Angioplasty and stenting are the first choice for most women because they are as effective as surgery for many blockages, and have fewer risks and a shorter recovery time. However, surgery may still be the preferred treatment in certain cases. Some blockages are too long or in a difficult location to treat with angioplasty and stenting. Please discuss this with her treating doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated.