Pet Skin Problems Forum

Food allergies

Ive switched my dog back to duck/potato food because while switching to venison/potato, her skin itching,hair loss,  flaking, along w/ear infections/redness, increased. My question is, in the meantime, with all the itching & flaking of skin, especially the lower back area, just above the tail, should i take her in to have a prednisone/cortisone shot to alleviate these sympoms? OR will the food change alone, if it works, alleviate the flaking skin? Thanks!
I never recommend steroid shots in dogs due to side effects, and in general steroids are minimally helpful in cases of food allergy. The flaking of the skin is most likely due to a secondary bacterial skin infection, which should be treated with antibiotics; steroids will worsen skin infection. The diet change alone will not resolve infection, but the correct hypoallergenic diet should prevent itch and infections from recurring. Additionally, make sure your dog is on a good montly flea preventative, as itching and dermatitis on the lower back is a classic symptom of flea allergy dermatitis, which can occur concurrently with other allergic skin diseases in dogs.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
www.dermvetvegas.com
Thanks for you reply Kimberly!   How do I know if my dog's itching/flaking is flea allergy dermatitis or if its food related? Or does that matter? --and I would just treat both the same- with antibiotics,  as you mentioned?     I started her on Frontline Plus on 3/1 beause I found 1 flea on her & her stomache area had red spots/flaking. She no longer has red spots..but continues to have the flaking/itchy skin.

Thank you!
Both flea allergy and food allergy can cause itching and secondary bacterial skin infections, and your veterinarian can evaluate your dog to see if antibiotics are indicated. It only takes one flea to cause a reaction, so be sure to continue to use the Frontline Plus on her and any other pets every month.
Kimberly Coyner, DVM DACVD
Sounds good, thank you Kimberly!
Hi Kimberly,
I just took my dog in to the vet & it sounds like you were correct w/the bacterial skin infection. The Dr is treating it w/anitibiotics..thanks again!
Hi Kimberly- HELP!  My dog has been on antibiotics for a week now & she's still itching. Is it because she doesn't have a bacterial skin infection?  The vet said if the med didn't work to bring her back in & he would give her a steriod shot (i believe). Do you think that would be the best thing for her?
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet