Pet Skin Problems Forum

anscess on face?

About 3 days ago my dogs face looked alittle swollen, under his eyes, I figured maybe he was tired or allergies. Last night his mouth was watering alot and i could hear him making licking noises, I figured he just picked a strange hour to clean himself. Today I left for work aaround 9am and came home at 3 pm and he had a rupture on his face.. There is a pic on my default pic for this site.. it was hard about four inches, semi sircular and under the ear, to the side of his eye on the left. there is still hair in spots but it looks like a giant scab on most of the area. Could he have an abscess somehow? He couldnt have been bit cause i am always walking him and the other dog was in his cage while I was at work and he was in the bathroom.. I got him a large plastic collar so he cant scratch and i put dog wound creme on it and neosporin. it looks like it might be draining a bit. His nose is wet and cold, his gums are not pale and when i look in his mouth in that area  I dont see anything abnormal. I cant afford the vet right now, I just recently got a new job after my company downsized and I lost mine, and have been trying to catch up on rent and utilities so I can keep a roof over my head. Is there anything I can do at home? Am I doing the right things now? Should i do warm compresses.. please any info or advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated, on here or im on aim RachelNJ1978
Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog; you are right it does sound like he may have a ruptured abscess on his face. Sometimes dogs with toothroot abscesses have the abscess open up on the face below the eye, can you tell if there is an old fractured molar tooth on that side? I have to recommend that he be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible; if there is an abscess then he needs antibiotics +/- tooth removal. At the very least antibiotics will help reduce infection/pain and keep infection from spreading internally while you have time to save up for other treatment. Talk to your veterinarian about your situation, they may offer payment plans such as Care Credit, or you can see about going to to the ASPCA hospital in NYC for low cost care. For tonight, keeping the wound clean and using warm compresses will help, but please take him to the veterinarian tomorrow.
Good luck,
Kimberly Coyner, DVM
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Dermatology
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet